Director of Engineer, Payments Acquiring
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. Were taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that well deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
The Payments Acquiring organization owns Toasts Payment Processing products. These products accept and process payments for our point-of-sale, our digital / online customers, and external partners. They also underpin additional financial service products such as the Toast Capital program. On behalf of our customers, we process billions of dollars in payments per year; were a critical part of their success, as well as Toasts.
As Director of Engineering, you will own the ongoing success of our payments acquiring products from the engineering perspective. This ranges from technology to roadmap to people to process.
You will influence product direction through technical insight & contribute to the technical roadmap for the evolution of the product. You are interested in the technical work, and have enough experience and judgement to ensure that engineers are moving in the right direction.
You will inspire your teams to deliver incredible outcomes. You will connect the work to Toasts broader mission. You will ensure that teams in your domain have the skills, time, leadership to deliver impactful results and are consistently improving on that ability over time.
On a given day, you might be reviewing solution designs, coordinating discussions between partner teams, collaborating on roadmaps with architectural and product stakeholders, and conducting 1:1s.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Drive delivery of business outcomes across multiple teams, including planning and execution
- Collaborate closely related teams such as Customer Care & Support, Fintech Operations, Accounting, PM and UX to ensure cross functional needs are considered in all work
- Ensure quality end-to-end delivery of software, including team ownership of monitoring and production issue remediation, and collaboration with QA
- Incorporate advances in software technology into our solutions to ensure we make best advantage of industry best practices.
- Define and support career development for your team
- Mentor and coach both new and experienced Engineering Managers & Team Leads
- Hire and grow teams to meet business needs
Do you have the right ingredients? (Experience)
- 3+ years of experience hiring and developing empowered teams
- Experience building and operating software in a transactional SaaS environment
- A bias towards action, with the ability to balance between getting things done and making things perfect
- A proven ability to influence decision-making at all levels within an organization.
- A strong sense of empathy for customers and teammates
- A desire to build a diverse team that wins together and prioritizes customer success
- Experience in the Payment Acquiring/Processing space preferred