Bowery: Electrical Engineer
Bowery is hiring an Electrical Engineer to join a team that designs and builds the company’s monitoring and control systems for our high-tech vertical farms. This person should be well versed in the process of designing, building, and manufacturing printed circuit boards (PCBs). Bowery’s farms grow pesticide-free, top quality produce using artificial lighting, highly controlled agricultural and environmental systems, and automated crop processing - all systems that we look to monitor and control. You’ll work with cross-functional engineering teams to design, prototype, and install these systems across Bowery’s expanding footprint of farms. This role will be based at Bowery’s NYC headquarters with some time spent in our existing farming facilities in Kearny, New Jersey.
What You’ll Do at Bowery...
- You’ll be part of the design, testing, prototyping and manufacturing of new control systems to provide greater flexibility over various components of the growing environment.
- You’ll be responsible for designing new circuit boards as well as updating existing designs.
- You’ll design and deploy sensor/control networks for controlling lighting, airflow, humidity and growing system characteristics.
- You will play an instrumental role in architecting software to collect, process, and visualize data from those sensors and actuate controls to achieve optimal growing conditions.
- You’ll help shape the foundation of our engineering team - researching and making key decisions about what we build, how we build it, and which tools are best for solving our problems.
You’ll work with mechanical engineering and agricultural science teams to design experimental frameworks that ensure data integrity and empower us to more easily analyze and act upon data from new trials.
What You Have...
- BS/MS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science
- Strong knowledge of electrical engineering fundamentals and manufacturing techniques, including power supply, logic, analog and mixed-signal design, communications busses/protocols such as I2C/SPI/RS-232/RS-485, simulation and DFM.
- At least 4 years of experience working as an electrical engineer
- Experience working in electrical design automation (EDA) software. Altium preferred.
- You have experience with PCB design including library part creation, schematic capture, board layout, preparing a bill of materials, generating gerber files, reviewing files, and export for 3rd-party turnkey fabrication & assembly.
- Created test procedures for your designs to be performed by manufacturers
- Comfortable using standard test equipment like oscilloscopes, digital multimeters, bench power supplies, function generators, etc.
- Well versed in troubleshooting issues and root causing circuit board failures
- Worked with single board Linux computers such as the Raspberry Pi, Beaglebone, etc.
- Enjoy working independently but also cross-functionally with other groups. In our case it may be our software team, data / ai team, farm facilities and operations, or farm design.
- If you’ve designed 2D mechanical parts and had them made by a 3rd party partner whether it be laser cut components, water jet aluminum, etc.
- Familiarity with a scripting language, e.g. Python
- Know your way around the Linux operating system
- You have experience with embedded MPU and MCU platforms from any of the following manufacturers: Atmel, Freescale, Silicon Labs, Microchip, TI, etc.
Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Stop & Shop stores in the Tri-state area; Brooklyn Fare, Westside Market and Foragers Market in NYC; and online through Peapod, AmazonFresh and Jet.com. Additionally, Bowery is featured at Sweetgreen, and on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised $122.5M from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
More Jobs From