Discovery Manager (Buyer)
The Discovery Team is responsible for on-boardingnew Makers to The Grommet platform by searchingfor innovative products from small businessesin sixteenconsumer product categories. In search of tomorrow's big product ideas -new technologies,innovative problemsolvers,unique gifts and local treasures,the Discovery team foragesworldwideto uncover exciting new consumerproducts.
As a Discovery Manageryou will lead the company efforts to identify,partner,and on-boardnew Makers in your assigned categories. The role has many facetsand youll have opportunity to focus onproduct research and Maker pipeline, product category development, negotiations and contract, merchandise curation and e-commerce pricing and profitability.The Discovery Manager must leverage product trends andinsights to innovativeproducts that will delight the Grommet consumer community.
Were a technology company using community, digital media, and e-commerce to drive successfor Makersand help consumers find unexpected, brilliant products.
The Discovery Manager role is a core function driving the company in new directions to create value and drive growth. You must show interest and an aptitude for partnership development, sales, contracts and e-commerce. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are necessary.
Were building B2B and B2C programs on our launch platform to create success for Makers, and were just getting started. This is an exciting, challenging, and perhaps career defining role for the right person.
- Structure partnerships and manage The Grommet Discovery on-boarding process for high potential Makers. You will identify tomorrows winning consumer products and set up success for long-term partnerships.
- Use technology, social media, and best practices for businessdevelopment to establish and maintain a strong pipeline of Maker prospects.
- Fluidly articulate thevalue of a Grommet partnership, programs and requirements.
- Close contracts. Meet e-commerce KPI's for margin and commercial terms.
- Provide constructive evaluations in product pitch meetings informed by sales reports, customerinsights, Maker research, and the competitive landscape.
- Organize pipeline development and sales funnel with attention to detail until partnership closure
- Plan merchandise assortments and plan pricing strategies for new launches, and create offers that are compelling and competitive for both our Makers and our consumer audience.
- Drive revenue growth and conversion through product selections\
- Develop networks ofinfluencers, journalists, thought leadersto access industry innovation
- Manage and grow sales and profitabilityin assigned product categories.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated ability to develop and build strong business relationships
- Business acumenfor sales, partnership, contracts, e-commerce
- Demonstrated insight, perspective and knowledge of consumer products and new product launch
- Desire and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and to effectively work on multiple projects in various phases and under tight deadlines.
- Strong affinity for details, organization,and project management.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Knowledge of merchandising for consumer e-commerce, marketplace or retailmerchandising/ buying
- Bachelor's degree in a business-related field with 2- 5 years of related experience.
We are looking for someone to work in our offices in Somerville, MA.
Work Environment: Were a fun, growing e-commerce company, located a five-minute walk from the Davis Square Red Line stop on the border of Somerville and Cambridge. Our office has a beautifully crafted modern-rustic vibe with a casual dress code. We have a fully stocked kitchen, free coffee and snacks, bagel Mondays and other treats. We do several company events around the year, and lots of us like to have fun around the office.
Discounts: We offer discounts on hundreds of the products on our site. We even get free samples of many products. Its perfect for gift giving.
Culture of Mentorship and Learning: Youll get exposure to Bostons startup industry and the chance to learn from people on our team and from the industry. We host frequent information and expertise sharing events (formal and informal) at work and give team members the chance to attend meetups.
Compensation: Competitive salary, great benefits, a yearly bonus incentive plan based on both individual and company performance, and a great work-life balance are all part of the deal.
Your cover letter is your chance to stand out and help us get to know you. We value the human touch and the things a resume doesnt capture well. In your cover letter, please tell us about yourself by answering these questions, but dont feel the need to limit yourself:
How did you hear about us?
Why you are good fit for this position?
What is your ideal career path over the next few years?