829 Studios has been named to the Inc. 5000 Fastest-Growing Privately Held Companies, Boston Business Journal's Fast 50 (Massachusetts' 50 Fastest-Growing Private Companies) and HubSpot's Top Digital Agencies list. Our projects and team members have received recognition from the Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI), Awwwards and other marketing industry publications. Our clients include venture-backed start-ups, publicly traded companies, non-profit organizations and more. We're proud to be working with Stanley Black & Decker, OARS, Micato Safaris, Hilton Hotels, REI, Leave No Trace and many more.
829 Studios is seeking a Director of UX to confidently lead our experience strategy team across a wide range of projects and industries. The Director of UX sets the foundation of both waterfall and agile projects by expertly balancing the needs of clients and their audiences through valuable, conversion-oriented strategy. You will recommend exercises, workshops, user tests, and documentation to conduct thorough research and put ideas into action.
This position combines team leadership with hands-on work. It involves consistent client contact, and you are confident in owning presentations and deliverables. By collaborating with clients and the agency's in-house team of designers, developers, producers, and account managers, you will gather user and competitive research, then translate your insights into brand and project goals. From there, you craft thorough sitemaps and information architecture guidelines that can be presented clearly and persuasively to clients and stakeholders. You and your team will consistently monitor and measure success, and refine accordingly.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop relationships with clients. You know everything about your clients' goals, personalities and priorities. You prepare thorough questions and synthesize the insights into innovative human-centered strategies. You are confident in leading discussions and workshops with both seasoned marketing professionals and newbies.
- Manage and grow a team. Mentor and coach other team members within the Experience Design & Strategy Team. Review the work of others and provide meaningful feedback. This is a leadership role with talented direct reports and the expectation for continued team growth.
- Do the research. Conduct competitive and user research through workshops, user testing, exercises, surveys, and any other format that gets you the insights you need. You have expert command of a "toolkit" that you can reference based on the needs of a project.
- Create the architectural foundation of large-scale websites. Create sitemaps that account for all pages on a website. Support your sitemap with user flow diagrams and page-specific content outlines when appropriate. For templated pages, account for all fields/data that will comprise a page.
- Account for SEO best practices. As a performance marketing agency, it is critical to construct website sites that generate traffic and leads. You have an understanding of technical and content SEO, and can collaborate with our subject matter experts to ensure success.
- Maintain best practices. Ensure that protocols are being followed. Evolve processes, offerings, deliverable formats and when you see opportunities to make improvements.
What This Role Is Not
- Visual or UI design. We have a team of visual designers who handle this. Design is at the heart of what we do. We have a talented team of visual and interaction designers who strive to set the bar higher each time when it comes to beautiful and effective websites. Wireframing skills are helpful but not required.
Qualifications and Skills
- At least eight years of experience in a full-service digital agency is required. While we will consider candidates with in-house experience, an agency background is preferred.
- A portfolio that clearly exhibits the ability to conduct research and translate your findings into extensive website architecture documentation like sitemaps and user flows.
- Exceptional communication, presentation, and organizational skills.
- The ability to problem-solve, confidently make decisions and lead projects with empathy and authority.
- A firm understanding of how websites are built using waterfall and agile processes, and the awareness to collaborate with designers, developers, and other personnel when necessary.
- An understanding of integrated digital marketing and its various components. The foresight and understanding to loop in additional marketing disciplines beyond web when appropriate.
Benefits and Perks
- Paid Time Off. Receive generous paid vacation benefits that increase as you advance.
- 401K + Match. 401K plan with 4% employer match after one year of employment.
- Life Insurance Benefit. Coverage to ensure peace of mind for your family.
- Short Term Disability Benefit. Injured and unable to come to work? We've got you covered!
- Healthcare. Choose from several competitive healthcare plans for both you and your family.
- Commuter Benefits. Allocate pre-tax funds towards your commute to save up to 40% per year in transportation expenses.
- Continuing Education. Receive a personal budget to attend events and conferences.
- Free Lunch & Breakfast. We offer a fully paid family lunch and breakfast once per week.
More Jobs From