Sea Machines is a fast-growing startup specializing in autonomous technology for marine vessels. We’re passionate about applying practical A.I. to the massive global ocean transportation market. Our products provide ships and workboats the intelligence to work remotely and give maritime operators the tools to effectively communicate with them. Based in Boston and operating globally, the company is crewed by an experienced team of mariners, engineers, coders, and autonomy scientists.
Sea Machines is venture-funded and we’ve introduced our first product, the Sea Machines 300. We’re located on the East Boston waterfront in historic Jeffries Point, with quick access to the T and water taxis.
We are seeking a Director of System Test to develop and implement testing processes, automation tools and best practices to test a new class of marine product, verify regression functionality and validate system performance. The candidate will work closely with the engineering team to ensure that software releases are tested for functionality and regression. The director will also validate the functionality and performance of updated and new platform(hardware) configurations.
This position reports to Vice President, Engineering.
Responsibilities and Duties
· Responsible for leading the development and implementation of the software testing process, automation framework and associated tooling for Sea Machines’ product set including controls, autonomy, communications, machine vision and system interfaces.
· Provide timely reporting on product qualification status and system performance metrics to functional teams and senior management.
· Work closely with product management to deliver committed software releases and to validate feature performance against design specifications.
· Participate as a multi-disciplinary engineering leader.
· Maintain testing documentation and assist in the development of user documentation
· Work cross-functionally with technical teams developing autonomy, communications, perception, system interfaces and hardware to execute functional testing, system integration verification and performance validation on new products in automated simulation and in vessel trials.
Qualifications and Skills
· Must be U.S. citizen or Permanent resident/Green card holder
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering or a similar discipline.
· 7+ years of experience system testing with at least 2 years in a leadership role.
· Recent exposure to a startup environment building a test framework, including automation, from the ground up in a new product space
· Experience testing a product with a machine learning component highly desired.
· Demonstrated skills using code repositories (Git, JIRA, Confluence, or similar tools).
· Demonstrated skills with Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Testing (CT) systems
· Proficiency using both Linux and Windows operating systems and familiarity with embedded systems.
· Experience with C, C#, C++, Python, SQL.
· Excellent analytical and program solving skills, excellent written and oral communication, self-starter and highly motivated.