Office Tour Photos
Who We Are:
Machine learning is extensively used across Twitter to build user experiences ranging from onboarding users to serving their timeline to everything in between. Cortex is the central ML org at Twitter which is focused on advancing ML inside & outside Twitter. In the Signals group in Cortex our goal is to build a deep understanding of Twitter’s massive data and extract rich modeling signals to enable high speed and high quality of product development.
Twitter has a rich variety of data sources including text, media, graph etc which interact with each other in a complex manner. These data sources capture interests & conversations from our users (in hundreds of millions) about real-world events, topics and entities (in tens of millions) on a daily basis. By building a deep understanding of this data and extracting rich signals, we can build delightful user experiences which connects the right user with the right content/user at the right time in the right context. Some examples of such signals are extracting entities, classifying into topics, deriving latent embeddings, computing similarities etc.
Doing this work poses both modeling as well as engineering challenges. We deal with a massive amount of data consisting of billions of tweets and huge follow graph. The real-time nature of Twitter makes it furthermore challenging requiring offline as well as online processing.
We have a mix of Applied ML engineers & ML Infra engineers who work together to explore & build new modeling signals and scale them to augment Twitter’s ML capability. Finding the right balance between innovation and impact is key to making this org successful. This is an exciting and creative area, with a unique opportunity to push the boundaries of machine learning further.
What You’ll Do:
You will lead diverse, smart and driven ML Managers and ML Engineers and align their career ambitions with business requirements and opportunities. We're looking for a senior leader who can collaborate with our partners in different product teams.
- Mentor the professional development of direct reports, managers and senior ICs, through personal and performance management. Form a collaborative team.
- Build strong relationships with the customer teams and actively understand & partner with them. Enroll customers into co-developing and adopting Cortex solutions.
- Lead the vision and mission for the Signals group (consisting of a set of teams). Be responsible for the group’s technical strategy and roadmap.
- Be an engineering talent magnet to make the Signals group successful in its established mission.
- Project examples: Named entity recognition, Media classification, Event metadata augmentation, Topic modeling.
Who You are:
You have experience with leading multiple teams with responsibility for machine learning & software development in production.
- You have strong software engineering background,and have knowledge of and experience in one or more areas: ML techniques (such as NLP, Computer Vision), ML applications (e.g., search quality, newsfeed ranking etc), ML platform & infrastructure.
- You have a passion for taking customer-driven approach to building high-quality software. You take pride in owning & maintaining what you have built.
- You are skilled at coaching and guiding your directs through their career development. You’re a strong people manager and have experience growing managers to the next level.
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale. You care about setting up healthy distributed teams and collaborative environments.
- You’re capable of communicating & collaborating with our business, product, engineering, design and research colleagues to discover new opportunities that benefit Twitter.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science with a focus on machine learning, mathematics or a related quantitative field or commensurate work experience. Strong background in software engineering.
- Ability to work collaboratively across a large engineering organization, both in terms of scale & in terms of mission complexity. Care about setting up healthy distributed teams & collaborative environments.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
After you apply, a recruiter may reach out to you for an introductory call.
If your background is a match for the role, you may phone interview with 1-2 people.
If you continue through the process, you will come onsite 1-2 times to interview with a total of 5-10 people.
More Jobs From