Office Tour Photos
We are a leading data analytics company that services some of the largest political, advocacy, and commercial organizations in the country. Applecart has led polling, targeting, and analytics efforts for Presidential campaigns, major ballot initiatives, Congressional races and campaigns at every level of the ballot. In order to help organizations that don’t often have the benefit of a large grassroots following or clear demographic coalitions on their side, we developed the Social Graph -- a database that identifies more than 17 billion social relationships between over 250 million Americans. We have developed a series of proprietary data products that use the Social Graph to help various candidates, causes, and companies counterbalance their opposition through innovative targeting, polling, and voter mobilization tools.
About the Role
As Director of Research and Insights, you will be a key leader of the Politics and Advocacy team, leading the firm’s polling and analytics efforts on behalf of some of the country’s most prominent political campaigns, independent expenditure efforts, trade associations, and corporations. In this role you will sit at the nexus of survey writing, exploring innovative quantitative research methods, and individual level voter targeting. You will supervise a talented team of project managers and data analysts. This position reports to the President of Politics and Advocacy.
What You’ll Do
- Act as a client-facing strategist to support high-profile political and advocacy campaigns by advising clients on the development of quantitative research, data-driven strategy, campaign plans, and the use of Applecart’s data products
- Develop innovative and effective quantitative research instruments (e.g. polling, predictive modeling) to inform client strategy
- Manage the development of polished deliverables and proposals in both memo and slide-deck form with keen attention to detail
- Lead an internal project team to execute on high stakes campaigns
- Communicate and present clearly, comfortably, and expertly about political strategy and data concepts verbally and in written form
- Provide effective support and mentorship to junior team members
- Stay up to date with industry trends, emerging technology and new tools that can improve the accuracy and impact of our strategic and tactical recommendations for clients
- Inform internal product development based on industry and client feedback
Who You Are
- More than 5 years of experience performing strategic roles for political campaigns, advocacy organizations, and/or independent expenditure efforts. You are a mid-to-senior level team member at a polling or analytics firm or oversee research for a data-driven political committee or outside organization.
- Significant experience advising high-stakes decisions using polling and/or microtargeting to win elections
- Experience creating and delivering reports in presentation, slide deck, and memo form to high-profile clients
- Exceptional writing, editing, communication and presentation skills; impeccable attention to detail
- Significant experience managing multiple simultaneous high-stakes projects with competing priorities
- Demonstrated success managing a team of multiple direct reports (more than 1)
- Take a “player-coach” approach to management; most comfortable when both managing and getting your hands dirty
- Strong understanding of the operations of a political polling and/or analytics firm, including the survey writing, fielding, and reporting process
- Experience working on a variety of different types of campaigns, from state legislative to high-profile U.S. Senate races or presidential contests, on both the hard dollar and IE-side
- You possess an energetic, upbeat disposition and excellent sense of humor
More About Applecart
Beyond our robust political and advocacy business, we are a venture-backed technology company that has received significant funding from everyone from global sports and entertainment leader, William Morris Endeavor to senior executives at Twitter and Yelp. Over nearly 7 years of operating, we have powered some of the most sophisticated and successful political and advocacy campaigns in the country. These have ranged from Gov. John Kasich’s 2016 U.S. presidential campaign and Rep. Conor Lamb’s surprise 2018 special election victory to working with Boeing, Blackstone, KKR, and several of the largest bipartisan education reform organizations in the United States. Our work has been featured by Bloomberg BusinessWeek, The Washington Post, The Associated Press, USA Today, Politico, and The Colbert Report.