Experienced UX / Product Design leader? Love dogs? Want to work at one of the 50 fastest growing private companies in Boston? This is the right place for you!
About the role:
Embark is seeking a Product Design leader to be responsible for building & leading a world-class Product Design team while delivering exceptional customer experiences for all Embark customers. This design leader will be a key spokesperson in evangelizing the needs and priorities of our consumers internally within Embark, designing the solutions that will help measurably improve their experiences, and partnering across the organization to deliver those results. We are looking for a hands-on design leader who can provide vision & insight about our product & customers, effectively define and drive the product design function at Embark, as well as work on specific design initiatives.
What youll do:
This leader will build a team that will drive design for all facets of Embarks product, including but not limited to:
- The Embarkvet.com direct-to-consumer and direct-to-breeder ecommerce experiences
- The My.Embarkvet.com logged-in experience that provides DNA test results for all Embark customers as well as professional tools for breeders
- A series of new product development opportunities aimed at unlocking additional value for Embark customers through personalized, science-driven pet wellness
- Embarks internal tooling, including customer service tools and our scientific research & development teams
- Providing input on physical SKU development, packaging, merchandising, and pricing decisions based on insightful customer research and validation, in close collaboration with marketing teams
The right candidate for this role is an experienced design leader with a deep passion for creating delightful consumer journeys, developing new products, and building design functions in an organization. A successful candidate will thrive in a fast-moving and ambiguous environment, with the ability to both build consensus through collaboration across teams and also drive the rapid decision-making necessary to move and iterate quickly. This is also an exciting opportunity for someone to build and coach a team, as well as help pioneer product design / UX disciplines at a hyper-growth startup. The right person will not shy away from the challenge of building a 6-8 person design organization from the ground up.
This person will report to the VP of Product Development
How you will deliver value:
- Hire a Product Design (User Research / UX / UI) team of 6-8, attracting diverse talent from around Boston and providing effective ongoing coaching and team management
- Build Embarks product design function through creation of scalable team management processes and tools, development of a design system and standards, and close partnership with Product Management and Engineering leadership
- Consistently deliver high-impact customer & competitive research and elegant user experience solutions that drive measurable business impact
- Partner effectively with marketing creative and brand strategy to ensure cohesion of the Embark brand and design experience across all user journeys
- Set a product vision and act as customer advocate across organization; Interface easily across the organization including with executive leadership to evangelize the design vision, strategy, and approach.
- Facilitate effective collaboration between cross-functional teams; help teams discover product opportunities and solutions while supporting an atmosphere of open feedback and mutual respect
What experience were looking for:
- 10-15+ years of experience leading and executing complex digital design projects that produced unique customer and business value
- 5+ years of experience hiring and leading Product Design or UX/UI teams; experienced manager and mentor who helps others grow while maintaining high standards for work
- Demonstrated ability to create scalable design and research operations and process
- Training or experience in human-centered design and design thinking facilitation
- Strong strategic thinking and communication; You can leverage storytelling to craft clear narratives of where projects could go and help influence teams
- Ample experience bringing structure to ambiguity, collaborating across multiple stakeholder groups, communicating with diverse audiences, and balancing/negotiating priorities
- Skill with modern design processes and tools (e.g. Figma, Sketch, Invision, Creative Suite, Miro)
- Experience working in agile environment with embedded/distributed designers
- Previous work in ecommerce, digital health, and wellness, biotech, or the pets industry is a plus
- Web development skills (HTML/CSS/JS) are a plus
What We Can Offer:
At Embark, we might be dog lovers, but were passionate about people too. Were committed to building an inclusive culture where all employees can belong and flourish. Here are some of our benefits and perks:
- A flexible vacation policy so you can take off the time you need when you need it
- Paid maternal and paternal leave (plus paw-ternity leave for new pets)
- Every other Friday off each summer
- Dog-friendly office near South Station, Boston (when we get back to the office), with some flexibility (eg work from home at least 2 days a week, flexibility around child care needs, etc)
- Perks tailored for dog lovers including subsidized pet insurance and dog-walking services
- Startup perks with big-company benefits (401k match, a generous bonus structure, commuter benefits, top-of-the-line healthcare, HSA/FSA)
- Competitive salaries and equity participation every employee gets stock options
- Fully-stocked office snack bar and regular office events
- New iMacs and MacBook Pros, or laptops running Linux
- Continuing education, including attending conferences and company-provided resources to help with individual growth and development
Who we are:
Join Embark on our mission to improve the life and longevity of dogs everywhere. Our canine DNA test the highest-rated, most accurate on the market enables us to make scientific advances in personalized pet care. Recently named one of the fastest-growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine, Embark is the only canine genetics company using research-grade technology, which allows us to make new scientific discoveries.
Designed by world leaders in dog genetics in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark Dog DNA Test provides information on genetic health risks and breed make-up, allowing dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians to make personalized care plans based on a dog's unique genetic profile. Embark is also home to the worlds only canine DNA relative finder. No wonder The New York Times recently called Embarks Breed and Health Kit the best dog DNA test available!
Interested in joining our pack? We are looking for highly motivated and mission-driven employees who will join us as Embark leads the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.