We are seeking a talented Senior Director of Prediction, Planning and Controls with hands on expertise developing motion planning, vehicle behavior or controls capabilities for mobile robotics or autonomous vehicles. The ideal candidate will be a software expert who has overseen a process from R&D phase through product shipment and has a passion for leading teams and developing real-world solutions. Specifically, this individual should have experience in real time decision algorithms, especially for complex environments, such as urban settings. In this role, you will be responsible for developing the Prediction, Planning, Controls technical roadmap, leading a global team of talented research scientists and software engineers, collaborating with technical leadership in other areas such as Perception, Mapping, System Architecture, and Hardware and ultimately delivering solutions for our autonomous driving system.
What you'll be doing:
- Deliver safety-critical software for self-driving cars by leading, managing, and growing a team of planning and control engineers.
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects.
- Provide the team with technical leadership and contribute technically to projects.
What we're looking for:
- Deep expertise in at least one of the following fields and excellent knowledge in others: optimization, controls, decision systems, motion planning and prediction
- Expertise implementing autonomy solutions and deploying on real-world systems
- Experience building & leading engineering teams\
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Robotics, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering, or a related field
- Software engineering experience
- Experience working in robots, automotive and/or aerospace
- Significant hands-on technical leadership and engineering management experience
- Track record of delivering complex technical projects
Why you should join us:
- To be empowered to lead a talented team of planning, controls, software and roboticist engineers in developing a Planning and Controls solution for the first ever Commercial Driverless system. You will grow the team, doubling in 1 to 2 years, mentor the staff through their career development, create a connected team culture, and develop an inspiring vision and technical roadmap for Planning and Controls. Also, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with peers across Perception and Localization and Machine Learning to help architect the overall Autonomy system for an Autonomous Driving product.
Motional is making driverless vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industrys largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the worlds first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the worlds most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group, one of the worlds largest vehicle manufacturers offering smart mobility solutions, and Aptiv, a global technology leader in advanced safety, electrification, and vehicle connectivity, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.
More Jobs From