We are seeking a talented Director of Perception with hands on expertise developing perception capabilities for mobile robotics or autonomous vehicles. The ideal candidate will be a software expert who has overseen a process from R&D phase through product shipment and has a passion for leading teams and developing real-world solutions. Specifically, this individual should have experience in real time perception algorithms, especially for unstructured scenes, such as public road driving and active safety (ADAS) systems. In this role, you will be responsible for developing the Perception technical roadmap, leading a global team of talented research scientists and software engineers, collaborating with technical leadership in other areas such as Planning, System Architecture, and Sensors and ultimately delivering solutions for our autonomous driving system.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the citys goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What You'll Be Doing
- Build software for self-driving cars by leading, managing, and growing a team of perception engineers and scientists.
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects. Provide the team with technical leadership and contribute technically to projects.
What We're Looking For
- Extensive experience in multi-modal perception and vision development
- Expertise implementing vision & perception algorithms and deploying on real-world systems
- Experience building & leading engineering teams
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering, or a related field
- Deep expertise in one of the following fields and excellent knowledge in others: sensor fusion, probabilistic perception, object tracking, computer vision, machine learning.
- Knowledge of Linux, and development on Linux systems
- Experience working on robot and/or automotive and/or aerospace
- Significant hands-on technical leadership and engineering management experience.
- Track record of delivering complex technical projects.