Sea Machines is a fast-growing startup specializing in autonomous technology for marine vessels. The world’s oceans convey 90% of global commerce. We’re applying practical A.I. and machine learning to disrupt the massive maritime transportation market. Our tech provides ships and workboats the intelligence to work remotely, increases safety for maritime crews, and radically improves operator productivity.
We’re recruiting for an experienced operations management professional to join our team as Director of Operations. You will lead product deployment, field service & support and manufacturing, and implement the processes and best practices to rapidly scale our product footprint worldwide. You’ve managed field operations for businesses that produce and deploy complex hardware/software products and have relevant experience building out a global dealer and service network for industrial or commercial grade products. You’re hands-on, innovative and passionate about building a great team and culture.
Sea Machines is funded by industry-leading technology investors and we’ve introduced our first commercial product, the Sea Machines 300. We’re located on the East Boston waterfront at Jeffries Point, steps away from the Maverick T station and Boston Harbor water taxis.
Product Deployment & Global Service
- Facilitate the fulfillment, installation and deployment of Sea Machines products in customer marine vessels worldwide
- Responsible for managing global service operations, including fleet performance monitoring, customer service inquiries, resolution of customer field issues and ongoing field issue reporting
- Develop customer service procedures, document service manual and localize service collateral for an international footprint
- Evaluate and implement CRM tools to manage customer relationships and global product installed base
Quality, Training & Certification
- Develop and implement a formal training program and tools to certify field technicians and regional partners in the installation, commissioning and service of Sea Machines products
- Implement a comprehensive quality management program that delivers high customer satisfaction from manufacturing through the service life of our products
- Routinely review key performance indicators and ensure that corrective/preventative actions are implemented and validated
- Maintain product change control and configuration management processes
- Manage sourcing, supplier qualification, planning, procurement and logistics for all material used in manufacturing and global service
- Build positive relationships with outside suppliers and contract manufacturing partners
- Plan, schedule and execute production to ensure on-time fulfilment of customer orders
Requirements and Skills
- You’ve done this before – you have startup company experience leading and scaling operations for commercial grade technology products.
- Candidates must have prior experience managing a field deployment and service organization for industrial, transportation or marine technology products
- Ability to form, lead and develop high-performing teams
- Foster a responsive customer service culture based on quality, open communication and financial controls
- Project professionalism, confidence and competence in communications and interactions with customers, partners, teams and senior management.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departmental functions
- 10+ years of experience in operations leadership positions – must include demonstrated leadership experience in both field operations /service for commercial technology products.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Engineering Operations related discipline is required; an advanced degree in Business or Operations Management is desirable