Director, Mechanical Engineering
Teamwork, not just tech work. We are tech futurists and business geniuses. Together, we solve problems to make daily life easier. We are looking for a few more great minds to join our team as we continue to grow one of the world's leading consumer robot companies.
Together, we empower people to do more.
- Provide organizational leadership for engineering, in cooperation with the other members of the engineering leadership team, to ensure the organization has world class development capabilities.
- Responsible and accountable for establishing a clear organizational vision, building process excellence, building organizational capability, driving execution, and measuring and improving performance to deliver market leading quality and time to market.
- Develop the management team reporting to the role, and in turn develop the capabilities of the full organization. Build a culture of excellence and engagement throughout the entire team.
- Provide technical leadership to the functions within the group, and develop those enabling technologies necessary for sustainable product differentiation.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and engineering functional excellence by attracting, developing and retaining top talent.
- Build and further develop an organization that embraces innovation, collaboration, empowerment of engineers and effective execution of product strategy.
- Establish/enhance robust consumer-centric product development processes that are systemically conducive to predictable execution and visibility, while delivering market leading products; establish metrics to measure the effectiveness of development processes.
- Support the functions within the group as needed, to ensure that the organization’s deliverables are met.
- A sophisticated, operationally proficient, seasoned technology leader with a successful record of setting technical vision/direction and delivering complex consumer products on time and within budget.
- A confident, seasoned director with a minimum of 10 years of Mechanical Engineering experience, and 10 years of managing high-performing Mechanical Engineering teams.
- Must thrive on turning ambiguity and chaos into a coherent and well-run plan (with the right balance of process, rigor, innovation and fun).
- Strong leadership, collaboration, motivation, strategic thinking and analytical skills; as well as the ability to combine broad technical, business and cultural factors in making well-considered decisions.
- A good communicator, with high EQ, who understands the value of an engaged organization, and knows how to build one.
- Highly intelligent and humble, with the experience and insight to recognize and attract top talent, and the leadership to motivate high performance and innovation within the organization.
- Demonstrated success in leading large, distributed, cross-functional, and cross-cultural teams.
- The wherewithal, skills and presence to be an effective member of the iRobot leadership team, a strong communicator with a passionate, mission-based orientation to his or her work, highly organized and able to build and maintain strong relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Past budget and forecasting responsibilities for a global Mechanical Engineering department.
- Proven track record and comfort working with Asia based contract manufacturers.
- Fluency in CAD – Solidworks / ProE / Windchill and ability to selectively dive into detailed design issues.
- Depth and breadth of experience with various manufacturing methods – plastic injection molding, casting, SLA, CNC machining; metal fabrication (bending, die-cutting, stamping, etc.). Experience with soft goods a strong plus.
- Deep comfort with evaluating components and processes, and associated costs, quality, and impact to schedule.
- Must have shipped high-quality, complex consumer products with electromechanical components.
- BS Mechanical Engineering required. Education or experience in Electrical Engineering/Systems Engineering highly desired.