Director of Engineering - API
Hi there. We’re Zipcar, the world’s leading car-sharing network, driven to make cities better places to live.
Since 2000, we’ve worked hard to turn a brilliant and disruptive idea into a movement that serves more than a million members worldwide. We’re keeping the pedal to the metal and growing every day. That’s why we need talented, passionate people with great ideas to join the Zipcar family.
Want to work for a company that is shaping the future of urban mobility? Ready to join a dynamic, playful, diverse, and respectful company that’s seriously changing the world? Then apply!
- At Zipcar, we are building next-gen car sharing cloud platform using cutting-edge We have engineered our build and development processes for speed and time to market.
- Microservice architecture using RabbitMQ for internal communication, with services mainly written for the JDK (Java/Groovy/Kotlin) and Ruby
- Responsive client applications built on ReactJS, Redux, and TypeScript
- Native mobile apps on Android and iOS
- Continuous integration and deployment, using technologies including AWS, Concourse, Docker, and BOSH
- Data technologies like Data lakes, EMR, Cassandra, and Apache Spark to make informed business decisions
- Lead and manage software engineering agile teams who develop software and applications throughout the product lifecycle
- Excellent communicator, who can articulate complex business problems and technical issues in a simple language
- Serve as a Technical Architect for all Platform Technologies / technical leader and coach of your direct reports as well as engineers in your reporting hierarchy
- Work with Product owners to help unblock technical impediments
- Oversee project delivery to ensure teams produce robust, elegant and scalable software that performs well under high load.
- Partner with Product Management leaders to align on roadmaps, resourcing plans, investment proposals, and stakeholder management
- Able to write stellar API specifications using Swagger or similar tools. Helps the team to execute the interface first design approach
- Lead efforts on complex software problems and work with the teams to deliver creative solutions.
- Drive the evolution of our technology platform in partnership with our engineering leadership team.
- Use independent judgment to develop technical and architecture strategies and implement operational policies and directives; communicate progress toward corporate goals.
- Build and retain a high-performing, collaborative and empowered engineering team.
- Lead teams to develop and use engineering best practices & coding standards.
- Direct, guide & influence roadmap/architecture/planning decisions
- Foster a robust, diverse and collaborative engineering culture.
- Collaborate closely with other teams in engineering, product and across the organization to develop innovative solutions to new challenges.
- Help your team deliver superb products at high velocity within a continuous delivery infrastructure.
- Over 10+ years of experience as a hands-on senior software engineer/Architect and engineering team leader.
- Over 3+ years of experience in directly managing and growing both high potential software engineers and engineering managers.
- Certified in AWS or Good working knowledge of AWS (Lambda, Elastic Beanstalk, Elastic Container Service) or Azure environments
- Experience leading large-scale API teams using any modern technologies like Java, Ruby, Python, .NET CORE
- Strong understanding of implementing API portals or Experience in working with any one of the following technologies AWS API Gateway, Google Apigee, MuleSoft
- At least three years of hands-on experience in developing Restful APIs, OAuth0, API Version management
- Strong command over Microservices Architecture, RDBMS like Oracle, Postgres, MySQL or SQL Server
- Expert in understanding complex SQLs and write effective SQL Statements
- 1 – 2 years of experience working in NoSQL DBs like MongoDB/Cassandra/Couch DB
- Ability to understand large code base and identify design/ architectural issues
- Successful track record of operating in an agile software environment.
- A test and learn mindset with an understanding of the value of rapid iteration.
- Track record of building customer empathy, advocacy, and sense of urgency within engineering teams.
- Strong drive to solve complex software problems in service to delivering customer and business outcomes.
- You’re passionate about helping people grow while meeting the goals of a rapidly growing company
- You are comfortable working through ambiguity, can help the teams break down work for iterative delivery to reduce risk and provide value more quickly for our members and our business.
- You are an excellent communicator both written and spoken and can clearly communicate technical concepts and details to non-technical people.
- You have at least a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience, but proven skills are more important than credentials.
As a member of the Zipcar Team you get a great benefits package including health and dental insurance, 401k, vacation time, paid holidays, personal and sick leave, along with a full complement of other insurance and support programs.
Because our work has a global impact, we enthusiastically support each employee’s commitment to creating a better world by offering:
- Free Zipcar membership & discounted driving rates for you and your significant other
- Paid volunteer time off
- Bicycle commuter reimbursement
- Paid parental leave for mothers & fathers
- Training and development programs to accelerate career growth
- Global footprint of job locations and opportunities
- Flexible and open work arrangements
- Fun, respectful, passionate, and collaborative environment
- Educational Assistance Program
- Company sponsored parties, outings, and events
- Discounts on a variety of products and services through Zipcar partners
Zipcar is an EEO Employer
To all recruitment agencies: Zipcar does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Zipcar employees or any other company location. Zipcar is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes