Director, Data Science
Director, Data Science
We are a rapidly growing company thats revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an unrivaled commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help shape the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
The Director, Data Science will play an integral role in our budding Data Science team. This person will manage a team of data scientists and partner across Product and Engineering as a critical contributor to the development of machine learning algorithms using our huge reservoir of data. You will help build product offerings across the Toast platform including Toast Capital, Toast Takeout, our customer-facing reports and more.
We are looking for a highly motivated, energetic candidate with experience managing and building high-performing teams, working with newer technologies, and isnt afraid to dive into data and get their hands dirty.
What you will do:
- Lead and scale a small Data Science team with plans for rapid growth and investment
- Hire, manage, and mentor high-performing technical data scientists
- Advocate, and partner cross-functionally for increasing usage of data science to create and improve Toast products
- Manage and prioritize bandwidth, resources, and budget while balancing short and long term objectives
- Work effectively in a dynamic, changing environment while focusing on key goals and objectives
- Define and analyze SLAs and KPIs to monitor performance and identify opportunities for growth and efficiency
Do you have the right ingredients?
- 8+ years experience working on technical data teams
- 4+ years of management experience scaling small teams
- Experience working with Python and SQL
- Experience designing data science flows into production at scale; ideally in an Agile environment
- Working knowledge of statistics and machine learning concepts including experimental design, hypothesis testing, regression, classification, and clustering
- A highly quantitative problem solver who loves to dig into different kinds of data and can successfully communicate their findings to stakeholders in different departments