Who We Are
The Category Management team helps to build the long-term vision for all of Wayfair, while broadcasting out the set of objectives that are most important to the success of each category. Category Management is made up of four verticals: Furniture & Decor, Housewares, Home Improvement and Professional businesses. As a Director of Category Management, you would be the owner of a category and would be responsible for solving complex business problems across merchandising, operations, marketing, and pricing to achieve hyper growth in your respective category.
Being a part of Category Management means you enjoy setting and driving a vision and operating analytically to get results. Strong communication is critical for the success of Directors of Category Management given the interaction with almost every function and team at Wayfair.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial leader who can work well cross functionally, develop a high performing team, build and articulate the strategic vision, and develop meaningful relationships with Wayfairs supplier base. At Wayfair, we pride ourselves on having leaders who are manager-doers and love being general athletes. This person will set the vision, and also understand and appreciate the day-to-day activities that have made Wayfair successful and an amazing place to work.
What You'll Do
While each category has its own unique, nuanced business problem to solve, there are common themes in the road map you would help drive.
- Fully build out assortment: Contribute to developing a comprehensive strategy to multiply our assortment. While doing so, have a strong focus on maintaining site performance and navigability in addition to developing partnerships with suppliers and brands not yet on site.
- Create best-in-class storefront and merchandising experience: Give customers the ability to easily visualize products in their homes, compare and contrast across brands and functions, and understand the unique value proposition offered by each product that is well curated and inspiring.
- Craft category specific logistics solution: Assess current shipping strategy; partner with the operations team to optimize speed of delivery, reduce damages, and unlock strategies that generate a game-changing competitive advantage and enduring customer satisfaction.
- Manage supplier stakeholders: Help drive deeper partnerships with key suppliers to unlock better costs and find creative savings. A critical part of the role is building long-term relationships with, negotiating with, and influencing new and existing suppliers.
- Influence a diverse set of internal stakeholders: Directors of Category Management are STO (single thread owners) of their business at Wayfair. Given Wayfair is a matrixed organization with ownership divided across specialized, expert teams, executing a cohesive strategic plan requires understanding, influencing, and motivating many different teams and individuals.
- Assess performance and adapt strategy: Frequent deep dives into the performance of the business will be critical to understanding what is and what is not working. Wayfair works fast and needs a leader who utilizes data to drive action and bring confidence to stakeholders that teams are focusing on the right areas of the business.
- Build a high performing, dynamic team: Build a high performing team that is capable of driving industry leading speed and reliability in the context of rapid growth. Manage and develop a team that works closely with executive leaders to deliver a comprehensive understanding of our business drivers as we continue to scale.
What You'll Need
- 10+ years relevant experience
- Ability to thrive in a high growth, entrepreneurial, and ambiguous environment
- Proven track record of leadership, taking ownership, and driving results
- Ability to develop, articulate, and execute strategy
- Ability to pivot priorities as data-led insights evolve
- Prior experience recruiting and building high performance teams
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic organization
- Comfort in technology-driven business environment
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.