DIrector of Business Intelligence
At Hopper, were on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the worlds fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the worlds most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 35 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apples App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
Were looking for a data-savvy individual to join our Data Science team as our Director of Business Intelligence to design and build a data environment that is robust, high-quality, and blazingly performant. Youll work with a highly skilled and motivated team and your efforts and expertise will have a direct impact on framing and solving some of the most challenging problems in mobile commerce at a scale and complexity that few organizations can match.
You care deeply about formalism & correctness; you have strong software and data modeling skills. Data is at the core of what we do at Hopper, both in providing data-driven travel advice to our users, and in analyzing our user behavior to improve the product experience and enable us to best manage our business.
In this role you will:
- Work closely with business stakeholders and product teams to understand requirements and ensure reports and dashboards support Hoppers analytics community in data-driven decision making.
- Manage a team to design and develop metrics, reports, and dashboards to drive key business and product decisions.
- Collaborate with our engineering team to implement the data architecture and design.
- Design high-performance database schemas and optimize SQL queries to support business analyst and data science needs.
- Establish, maintain and document high data quality standards in our core data pipelines, datasets and databases.
- Interface with large, distributed NoSQL databases.
- Investigate data anomalies to troubleshoot data inconsistencies, and discover interesting trends in user behavior.
A qualified candidate has:
- University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information technology, Mathematics or Statistics
- Experience building large scale reporting systems with high performance, great usability and highly satisfied customers.
- Experience gathering business requirements, formulating metrics and building reports.
- Experience with designing and building large scale data pipelines in distributed environments with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, HBase, etc.
- Understanding of data architectures, relational and nonrelational database concepts, data warehouses, data modeling and application implementations
- Backend development experience with Scala, Java, Python, unix shell scripting
- Experience with AWS or Google Cloud Platform a plus
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options.
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business.
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans.
- Access to a 401k (Boston) or Retirement Savings Plan (Montreal).
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass.
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry.
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy).
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artists loft in the Mile End.