Director of Behavioral Research
The Director of Behavioral Research is responsible for the strategy and execution for our data & behavioral science research program. He or she is passionate about pushing the boundaries of our understanding of human behavior by using novel, longitudinal data streams to describe and define new aspects of human communication and impression formation.
This role will lead a team of scientists, who will use analytical, quantitative, physiological and qualitative approaches to answer novel questions, stemming from Product, individual-client and self-directed initiatives.
A successful candidate in this role has a track record of managing an efficient and effective industry research team. He or she has experience in big data tools and is a thought leader in asking and answering questions concerning human behavior and psychology. He or she demands an understanding of the business problems at hand to enable them to use the best scientific approaches to deliver value to customers and internal stakeholders.
This role reports to the Chief Behavioral Science Officer.
- Design, operationalize and implement the strategy for Behavioral Research at Cogito
- Manage a team of data analysts, data scientists, and behavioral research scientists, including hiring for the right cross-section of skills, managing their workload, work prioritization, and career development
- Maintain independent relationships with senior leadership to support overall company strategy
- Responsible for managing risk both within and across all Behavioral Research projects and deliverables
- Collaborate with Director of Insights to design an integrated, efficient, best practice processes to leverage client data into editable visualizations and facts that can be consumed by the Insights team to support individual client data-driven presentations
- Collaborate with Product to develop clear testable hypotheses and deliver results to push product strategy & features forward
- Collaborate with BeSci Services & Marketing to turn research findings into actionable nuggets to empower sales & customer success teams
- Collaborate with technical leadership to develop a set of cloud-based state of the art big data tools to empower the Behavioral Research team with the tools for success
- Collaborate with Signals & Machine Learning to develop clear constructs and gold-standard definitions of fuzzy psychological concepts to enable state of the art deep-learning model development
- PhD in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Neuroscience, Statistics, Math, Computer Science or relevant field
- At least 10 years experience in data science & research
- At least 5 years experience leading a data science or industry research team
- Ability to communicate with equal proficiency to technical or business colleagues
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced start-up culture
- Expertise in data analysis tools (Python, R, etc)
- Expertise in modern statistical approaches
- Expertise in a related psychological domain (HCI, divided attention, impression formation, social signaling, cognitive load)
- Familiarity in cloud-based big-data tools
- Familiarity with traditional data management and presentation tools (SQL, Postgres, Excel, Tableau, Powerpoint, etc)
- Familiarity with physiological measurement of cognition tools (eye-tracking, fNIRS, etc)
- Familiarity with modern machine learning approaches, including creating construct definitions
Your choice of comprehensive benefits for you and your familys health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
Frequent catered lunch and live product demos
401(k) retirement plan options
Ongoing professional development and cross-training
20 days vacation time, 5 days sick time, 2 floating holidays and 11 company holidays (yes, Patriots Day is a holiday)
2 "Be Gentle" personal days
Company paid parental leave upon hire
Competitive pay, stock options, and annual bonus eligibility
Casual dress and fun office atmosphere
Pre-tax commuter benefits
Stocked groceries in the kitchen
Office location in the heart of Boston with convenience to the MBTA lines
Cogito is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fair hiring practices and to creating a welcoming environment for all team members. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, familial status or veteran status.
Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with Cogito Corporation (i.e. H1-B visa, F-1 visa/OPT, TN visa or any other non-immigrant status).