Office Tour Photos
We are a leading data analytics company that services some of the largest political, advocacy, and commercial organizations in the country. Applecart has led analytics, targeting, and polling efforts for Presidential campaigns, major ballot initiatives, Congressional races and campaigns at every level of the ballot. In order to help organizations that don’t often have the benefit of a large grassroots following or clear demographic coalitions on their side, we developed the Social Graph -- a database that identifies more than 17 billion social relationships between over 250 million Americans. We have developed a series of proprietary data products that use the Social Graph to help various candidates, causes, and companies counterbalance their opposition through innovative targeting, polling, and voter mobilization tools.
About the Role
As Director of Analytics, you will be a key leader of the firm, acting as a client-facing strategist and analytics expert on behalf of some of the country’s most prominent political campaigns, independent expenditure efforts, trade associations, and corporations. In this role you will advise clients on data-driven strategies, efficient campaign plans, data collection practices, and the use of Applecart’s unique data products. You will supervise a talented team of data analysts and work closely with associates and data scientists.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as technical lead and project manager on complex analytics projects
- Make key methodological decisions within client projects to inform the optimal development and use of custom microtargeting products (e.g. audiences, models)
- Oversee and improve existing quality assurance processes to ensure end-products effectively address campaign needs
- Contribute meaningfully to the development of polished client deliverables in both memo and slide-deck form, and occasionally, develop them yourself
- Communicate and present clearly, comfortably, and expertly about data and analytics concepts and political strategy verbally and in written form
- Provide effective support and mentorship to junior data analysts on topics ranging from the quality of their insights to the efficiency of their SQL queries
- Design and execute field experiments to measure impact and improve campaign tactics
- Stay up to date with industry trends, emerging technology and new tools that can improve the accuracy and impact of our strategic and tactical recommendations for clients
- Work with the product development team to build standard technical processes and identify places to innovate to build higher quality products at greater efficiency
Who You Are
- More than 4 years of experience in data role(s) for political campaigns, advocacy organizations, and/or independent expenditure efforts. You are a mid-to-senior level team member at an analytics firm, a data-driven political committee, political campaign, or outside organization.
- Experience advising high-stakes decisions using polling and/or microtargeting to win elections
- Experience creating and delivering reports in presentation, slide deck, and memo form to high-profile clients
- Exceptional writing, editing, communication and presentation skills; impeccable attention to detail
- Significant experience managing multiple simultaneous high-stakes projects with competing priorities
- Demonstrated success managing a team of multiple direct reports (more than 1)
- Take a “player-coach” approach to management; most comfortable when both managing and getting your hands dirty
- Highly proficient in SQL; interest in honing knowledge of Python/PySpark and the product development process
- Strong foundational knowledge of statistics
- Proficient in Python
- Fluent in data science concepts
- Advanced degree (e.g. Master’s or PhD) in a technical field
- Strong understanding of the operations and methodologies of political analytics and/or polling firm, including the survey writing, fielding, modeling, and reporting processes
- Experience working on a variety of different types of campaigns, from state legislative to high-profile U.S. Senate races or presidential contests, on both the hard dollar and IE-side
- You possess an energetic, upbeat disposition and excellent sense of humor
More About Applecart
Beyond our robust political and advocacy business, we are a venture-backed technology company that has received significant funding from everyone from global sports and entertainment leader, William Morris Endeavor to senior executives at Twitter and Yelp. Over nearly 7 years of operating, we have powered some of the most sophisticated and successful political and advocacy campaigns in the country. These have ranged from Gov. John Kasich’s 2016 U.S. presidential campaign and Rep. Conor Lamb’s surprise 2018 special election victory to working with Boeing, Blackstone, KKR, and several of the largest bipartisan education reform organizations in the United States. Our work has been featured by Bloomberg BusinessWeek, The Washington Post, The Associated Press, USA Today, Politico, and The Colbert Report.