Target End Date: December 10, 2019
Location: New York City, United States
Do you want to have an impact on future tech leaders while enhancing your portfolio? Do you enjoy getting involved in many different aspects of design - from graphic design to UI/UX and even physical print design? Do you want to work directly with startup CEOs on their design strategy and brand needs?
As a Design Associate, you will help 10 early-stage startup companies to define their branding and marketing - think pitch decks, branding, marketing collateral, logos, style guides, presentations, and more. There are also opportunities to help build out the customer experience, including customer discovery, design thinking, UI/UX design, and website layout. In addition to working on design projects for the startup companies, you will work with the accelerator team on the program’s design needs, such as event invitations, lookbooks, info flyers, workshop presentation decks, and swag.
This is an ideal opportunity for a designer looking to grow their portfolio and access a network of startup founders and tech leaders as a future client-base. This is also an exciting role for someone looking to combine their creative experience with an interest in business and strategy.
Expectations & Responsibilities:
- Willingness to commit to the equivalent of a full time position for a three month time period, and available days, evenings, and whenever needed. Schedule is flexible, but a strong commitment is expected.
- Execute on any and all design deliverables for the startups in the accelerator program, as well as the accelerator program itself.
- Manage multiple design projects & clients at once, prioritize design requests, and effectively communicate with startup clients on project expectations & deadlines.
- Work closely with accelerator team to help with successfully running the accelerator, and engage with Techstars founders to drive them towards success.
- Represent Techstars in local community, both actively and passively.
- A drive to get better every single day and are always looking for opportunities to learn.
- A positive outlook, desire to learn and meet new people, lots of energy and enthusiasm. The associates set the tone for a great accelerator experience for the startup founders!
- Knowledge that spans graphic design, design strategy, and UI/UX.
- Great understanding of how to translate business content into various visual forms of expression.
- Work experience in design strategy, marketing, advertising, or design thinking is a plus!
- Experience with design tools – Sketch and Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign.
- Strong communication skills and experience managing expectations and deliverable timelines.
- A refined aesthetic sense and can both work internally (brand/logo projects) and expand a company’s vision (marketing collateral, customer experience).
- Experience working in an iterative design environment including giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS degree in a design-related field or 2-5 years of professional design experience.
- Authorized to work as a contractor in the United States.
- Currently live in New York City or would be willing to live here for the duration of the program.
Interested in becoming an Associate for Techstars? You will work closely with the accelerator team and early-stage startup companies to ensure that founders get the most out of the program and have all that they need to succeed in a challenging, fast-paced environment. From entrepreneurs, to investors, to tech experts, your network is about to explode. You will have the opportunity to get to know the best entrepreneurs, tech experts, and investors in the city, up close and personally. You will also have access to full involvement in Techstars events with the founders and local community.
It’s basically a chance to get amazing experience, broaden your network in ways you could never imagine, get exposure to some of the greatest up and coming companies and teams in the country. Historically, most associates end up being employed by one of the teams or by someone they met during the three months of the program. Many also go on to build their own companies.
- Jay Kapoor - My Summer as a Techstars NYC Associate
- Dirk Lehmann – Techstars Associate Programme: The Better Startup MBA?
- Kelly McDonald – Learn More Faster
- Anthony Marnell – Techstars New York: A Reflection
- Duc Luan Dam - Luan, do you ever sleep? (Being an Associate at Techstars part 1)
The Techstars Worldwide Network helps entrepreneurs succeed. Entrepreneurs make connections with other entrepreneurs, mentors, corporate partners, and investors who will help their company succeed. Large companies make connections with the best startups to future-proof their business. City governments connect with local entrepreneurs, corporations, and community leaders to grow and sustain a vibrant startup economy. Investors connect with Techstars to gain access to quality deal flow.
Techstars enables entrepreneurs, large companies, and city governments to access proven resources to innovate faster and accelerate their business success. Techstars proven programs include Techstars Startup Weekend, Techstars Startup Week, Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerators, and more.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, nor any other basis prohibited by law.
More Jobs From