Hi there. We’re Zipcar, the world’s leading car-sharing network, driven to make cities better places to live.
Since 2000, we’ve worked hard to turn a brilliant and disruptive idea into a movement that serves more than a million members worldwide. We’re keeping the pedal to the metal and growing every day. That’s why we need talented, passionate people with great ideas to join the Zipcar family.
Want to work for a company that is shaping the future of urban mobility? Ready to join a dynamic, playful, diverse, and respectful company that’s seriously changing the world? Then apply! To learn more, visit zipcar.com or zipcar.com/careers.
Zipcar is seeking a Data Engineer to join the Data Team. The team is responsible for leading efforts to ingest, structure, and model our data to support critical decision making. Our enterprise data warehouse is based on AWS Redshift, supporting Looker analytical dashboards, and is backed by an AWS data lake. In addition to analytics, the data warehouse also supports an active and growing data science practice.
The ideal candidate will have experience building and supporting data platforms that help end users make sound business decisions. This includes data pipeline creation, data quality management, system reliability, job orchestration and recovery aka “Data Ops”. In additional to technical competency, they should be truly motived to empower end users and help Zipcar meet its goals.
- Implement data pipelines using agile, iterative processes to deliver value quickly
- Treat data quality, reliability, and documentation as fundamental acceptance criteria for data pipelines
- Collaborate with the team to make the best technology choices
- Deliver solutions that ensure data accuracy, high availability, robust security, and that are built for rapid scaling
- Create and maintain data models, data catalogues, and data security
- Partner with data analysts to implement features that serve Zipcar’s demand for reliable information
- 3-5 years experience with data engineering or data warehousing, or an equivalent data-oriented software engineering background
- 2-3 years experience with ETL technologies (e.g. Talend, Informatica, Matillion)
- 2-3 years experience with key AWS technologies (Redshift, S3, IAM; also Kinesis, Lambda, EMR, Spark, Hive)
- 3-5 years of experience with SQL
- Experience in optimizing queries and tuning database performance
- Familiarity with data analysis and data science tools (Looker, Python, Jupyter, R) is a plus
- Python or Java experience is a plus
- Understands business value, context and priorities of the team's work
- Collaborates in scoping, solution design and evaluation
- Adheres to team priorities
- Assists other team members in developing, testing and deploying software changes
- Engages problems directly and creatively
- Respectfully and constructively engages team members, stakeholders, and the Zipcar community
- Drives for results with focus and energy
As a member of the Zipcar Team you get a great benefits package including health and dental insurance, 401k, vacation time, paid holidays, personal and sick leave, along with a full complement of other insurance and support programs.
Because our work has a global impact, we enthusiastically support each employee’s commitment to creating a better world by offering:
- Free Zipcar membership & discounted driving rates for you and your significant other
- Paid volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave for mothers & fathers
- Training and development programs to accelerate career growth
- Global footprint of job locations and opportunities
- Flexible and open work arrangements
- Fun, respectful, passionate, and collaborative environment
- Educational Assistance Program
- Company sponsored parties, outings, and events
- Discounts on a variety of products and services through Zipcar partners
Zipcar is an EEO Employer
More Jobs From