Who is Virgin Pulse?
Virgin Pulse, founded as part of Sir Richard Branson’s famed Virgin Group, helps organizations build employee health and wellbeing into the DNA of their corporate cultures. As the only company to deliver a powerful, mobile-first digital platform infused with live services, including coaching and biometric screenings, Virgin Pulse’s takes a high-tech-meets-high-touch-approach to engage employees in improving across all aspects of their health and wellbeing, every day – from prevention and building a healthy lifestyle to condition and disease management to condition reversal, all while engaging users daily in building and sustaining healthy habits and behaviors. A global leader in health and wellbeing, Virgin Pulse is committed to helping change lives and businesses around the world for good so that people and organizations can thrive, together. Today, more than 3100 organizations across the globe are using Virgin Pulse’s solutions to improve health, employee wellbeing and engagement, reduce costs and create strong workplace cultures.
Who are our employees?
At Virgin Pulse we’re passionate about changing lives for good. We want to make a difference in the world by helping people be healthy so they can perform at their best, every day, at work and home. Our award-winning solutions support leading employers in improving and simplifying the employee health and wellbeing journey and engaging people in all aspects of their health. But our world-class products and programs are nothing without our people – the employees who design, build, promote, sell, test and perfect the latest innovations in workplace health and wellbeing. Our people are our top priority and we invest in their health and happiness. At Virgin Pulse, we have so much more than a strong, supportive company culture – have a shared vision for a healthier, happier world.
Virgin Pulse values and celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives, inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions. As a global employer, we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. As we are committed to diversifying our company, we strongly encourage candidates that are historically underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.
Our data pipeline is using an exciting mixture of large scale, highly available, public-facing systems built on serverless infrastructure. This data pipeline ensures scalable, secure, private, and high-performance access to any data from our application, operational tools, or any other data generated within the organization.
Our data pipeline feeds our data lake and data warehouse; both of which use Amazon Web Services extensively for stability and high availability. Our data lake provides authenticated, secure access to any available data in our organization. Our data warehouse provides additional structure and value to our data, which can be readily used for training machine learning algorithms, any internal or external reporting, and informing our company’s product roadmap.
We are currently in the process of enhancing our existing Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery process; as a result we have continual smaller releases to our environments (Development, QA, Staging, Production), with integrated unit tests and code coverage analysis while eliminating the risk taken on with only a few large releases/product updates.
Who you are
As a Senior Data Engineer with Virgin Pulse, you are capable of working on a fast-paced team responsible for maintaining the data and reporting pipeline. As a key member of the Data Systems & Reporting team, you will be part of a data & reporting teams responsible creating data pipelines, ensuring quality & accuracy, designing & build BI visualizations, automating SQL scripts, and creating and delivering complex files to Virgin pulse clients.
You are passionate about top quality data software and knowledgeable about business insights, capable of sharing this knowledge with internal clients and customers. You understand SQL deeply and see an efficient SQL and organized SQL script as a thing of beauty. You have 5 or more years’ experience with data modelling, scripting, business intelligence, data warehousing, and automation. You also take pride in having an agile mindset and a deep commitment to the principles of agile software development. Last but certainly not least, you take pride in your excellent verbal and written communication skills and desire for a strong sense of teamwork. You lead others through teaching, encouragement, and teamwork.
In this role you will wear many hats but your skills will be especially essential in the following:
- Python programming language
- One or more data visualization / business intelligence tools (Tableau, MicroStrategy, etc.)
- You are enthusiastic about working in a team and have great people skills
- A passion for learning technologies and applying them to the right projects will make you successful in this position.
- You understand the principles of agile software development
- You can present technical concepts in a way that is easy for non-technical people to understand
- You are tenacious in your investigation of issues and problems and are able to find the root cause of problems and propose solutions correct the root causes.
In a typical week you may:
- Build files and reports that impact hundreds-of-thousands of people around the world
- Work on a product that changes people’s lives
- Write and maintain advanced SQL queries for reporting extracts and assist more junior team members
- Perform QA tasks to verify the accuracy of reporting
- Investigate and troubleshoot data reporting issues
- Design and implement data models for applications, operations, or analytics
- Design and implement analytics reports
- Use a wide variety of modern technologies, including
- Data streaming (Kafka, SQS/SNS queuing, etc)
- Columnar databases (Redshift, Snowflake, Firebolt, etc)
- Commonly used AWS services (S3, Lambda, Redshift, EC2, etc)
- BI tools (Tableau, Domo, MicroStrategy)
- Teach and train other team members
- Use Python to enhance and automate our existing capabilities
- Have fun doing all of the above
What you bring to the team
- B.S./M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent technology experience
- 5 or more years’ experience working directly with data and data warehouses
- Hands-on experience with some of the tech we use: Git, PostgreSQL, Python, Tableau
- You are self-motivated, creative, and detail oriented
- Skills in scripting, data engineering or modeling, and business intelligence
- Knowledge of OO programming and applications built on distributed service architecture
- Enjoy actively experimenting with new technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Work to maintain system and data security at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Adhere to industry best practice coding standards and verify all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work here?
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive work environment, strong employee culture and cutting-edge technology and services — so many reasons to love it here.
*We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any protected class status.
*Please note that Virgin Pulse representatives will only communicate with you via our own corporate communication tools with virginpulse.com email addresses and through partnership with our Applicant Tracking System, iCIMS, which will clearly reference Virgin Pulse. We do not use third party apps like WIRE or WhatsApp to communicate.
At no time during the interview process will we ask you for secure PII data unless you are offered a job with Virgin Pulse. Should you be offered a job, and accept, you will be provided with secure links through our partnership with ADP.