Office Tour Photos
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with passion for improving healthcare and doing the right thing for Athena. Reporting to a senior member of the Legal team in the companys Watertown, MA headquarters, the Corporate Counsel should be a bright, energetic, business-minded and self-motivated transactional attorney with 2-5 years of data privacy/security, health care specific regulatory, commercial, and transactional experience.
- Contribute to vision and mission of athenahealth by partnering with all functions to enhance strategic possibilities with an eye to all legal aspects. Influence privacy, security, and corporate practices, as well as our sales and account management, product development and marketing strategies.
- Identify regulatory and industry specific legal considerations and corresponding risk management strategies. This will require research and understanding of a variety of regulatory regimes including HIPAA, FTC, state based privacy and security laws, ERISA, FTC, FDA, etc.
- Negotiate privacy and data use provisions, consistent with the companys strategy and goals.
- Reviewing, drafting (from forms and from scratch), negotiating and closing commercial contracts, including sales, channels and vendor contracts, RFP responses, research memos, BAAs and supporting documents
- Assisting more senior attorneys and management in higher level transactional matters, as needed
- Providing ongoing legal advice and support to the sales, product, marketing, account management and business development teams
- Independently leading vendor deals to closure
- Collaborate with other attorneys in the Legal Department as a subject matter expert.
- Support members of the corporate development and strategy teams on privacy and security-related legal matters, including areas related to partnerships, acquisitions, integrations, and other business development opportunities
- Assist with regulatory (including healthcare and privacy) research and advice
- Assisting with other general legal matters to be assigned as company needs warrant
- Support transactional work, as needed (e.g., M&A and strategic investments).
- J.D. from a well-recognized law school; and excellent academic credentials
- Admitted to the Massachusetts state bar or another U.S. state bar.
- 2-5 years business contract and regulatory; prior in-house or large law firm experience a plus
- Regulatory, especially health industry or FDA, experience preferred
- Superior verbal and written communication skills (including contract drafting)
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability and willingness to spend the time necessary to meet demanding deadlines and adjust to shifting priorities
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, with both business acumen and legal skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and to flourish in a fast-paced and high stress environment.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to communicate concisely to clients & employees, to integrate legal and business knowledge and to provide balanced advice regarding risks.
Required of all employees of the Legal Department:
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Meticulous attention to detail and process
- Ability to maintain poise and a sense of humor in stressful situations
- Willingness to expand the range of job responsibilities as needed, based on the evolution of the company and the role
- Our Vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
- Our Location: This role is based in Watertown, MA, just a few miles outside of Boston. Watertown is our Global Headquarters and our campus, the Arsenal on the Charles, is home to several restaurants, a local gym and large outdoor space. This office also has a cafeteria, coffee caf and food trucks that rotate every day.
- Our Culture: At athenahealth, our employees (or athenistas) are committed to making healthcare smarter. Our success is dependent on the diversity, collective spirit, and contributions of our people, clients and partners. We value teamwork and believe that the strength of our team comes from supporting each other and leveraging our specialized skills. If you are looking for a company that will enable you to work outside of your comfort zone to transform the healthcare ecosystem, athenahealth is the place for you.
- Our Perks: Along with health & financial benefits, our athenistas are offered a variety of perks that promote employee wellbeing such as commuter support, collaborative workspaces and dog-friendly offices - just to name a few.
More Jobs From