Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. Were the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus seeks an attorney to join our growing legal team and to focus on the Companys commercial contracting activities. As Commercial Counsel, you will support and advise internal clients across the organization on legal risks, compliance issues, business strategies, and other issues related primarily to commercial transactions, including privacy and data security. You will also have the opportunity to oversee and maintain the companys intellectual property portfolio. In this role, you will be expected to exercise excellent business judgment to seek legal solutions while managing risks, guaranteeing adherence and employing creative problem-solving skills. This is a great opportunity to join a highly regarded legal team and work on cutting-edge issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment!
What You'll Do:
- Partner with teams across the company to draft and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including SaaS, marketing, partnership, vendor and non-disclosure agreements, including any data processing addendums (DPAs).
- Continuously update standard form agreements and legal processes to help improve the legal team and client service.
- Manage risk and ensure business, privacy and compliance needs are accurately reflected in agreements.
- Represent the legal team on the companys cross-functional vendor oversight committee to improve the process for onboarding and terminating vendors, including implementing controls to reduce risks identified during vendor reviews.
- Oversee outside counsel in intellectual property matters and maintain the companys intellectual property portfolio.
- Participate in critical initiatives as your skills and interests allow.
Who You Are:
- A minimum of 3 years major law firm legal experience, previous in-house experience with technology company preferred
- JD from an accredited law school and admission to practice in Massachusetts or other U.S. state
- Track record of working as a great teammate
- Demonstrated experience in prioritizing, reviewing and negotiating agreements
- Ability to balance legal risk and strategic objectives
- Strong drafting abilities and written/verbal communication skills
- Willingness to interact and communicate effectively with individuals from multiple departments and fields at all levels of the organization
At CarGurus, we invest in our peoples professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the companyour way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the worlds most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency dont just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potentialwhere you dont just fit, you thrive. We dont discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.