The Category Manager position is a highly collaborative role that partners on cross-functional initiatives with Product Management, Buying, Marketing, and Technology to define the overarching strategy for Workhuman’s merchandise and gift card portfolio; what should our offering look like and our road map for how we get there. In this role, you will expand the assortment of E-Commerce merchandise and gift cards and develop a competitive strategy for the market. If you’re looking to make a significant impact on major company goals, including revenue and margin growth, all while gaining GM experience in E-Commerce with exposure to leadership – then this job is for you!
Reporting to: Director, Catalog Management, North America
Location: Framingham, MA
What You will be Doing:
- Develop and execute integrated merchandise strategy, building on existing foundation and determining optimal assortment offering to maximize revenue and profitability growth
- Maintain relationships with all current US Merchants (Gift Card partners), and suppliers feeding our North American merchandise catalogs across the US, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico
- Negotiate with current US Merchants to secure additional volume discounts for top-performing Gif Cards within our network. Source promotional funding, by leveraging shelf-space and new client growth.
- Drive pricing and terms negotiations with vendors; coach and develop team around negotiations and persuasive communication skills
- Infuse analytics into our merchandise strategy to drive both strategic and day-to-day decisions, utilizing a combination of internal purchase and site metrics, market data and trends, and competitive analyses
- Identify opportunities for strategic expansion beyond current categories – including goods, services, and experiences that will excite our customers and differentiate us versus the competition
- Partner with E-Commerce Product and Technology teams to design and develop technology enhancements to support merchandise offering
- Lead process improvements across supplier integration and SKU management needs in partnership with Operations and Product
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver on plans and constantly evolve our offering – including Sales, Customer Success, Product, Marketing, Creative, Operations, and Customer Service
- Serve as internal expert on our offering, industry trends, and ways to stay ahead of the competition
- Support client and prospect needs by serving as the expert on our merchandise offering and capabilities and providing regular data, presentations, and general input into sales and retention pitches and incorporating client needs and interests into our merchandise strategy
- Build, manage and mentor a team of Event Buyers and Merchandisers to deliver on goals
The Skills You Will Bring:
- 5+ years of Retail / E-Commerce / Merchandising or Consulting experience
- Excellent ability to negotiate with key stakeholders and C-suite level contacts from large companies and suppliers
- Highly collaborative
- Entrepreneurial leader who can both set the vision and the plan and execute on the details and get the job done
- Healthy balance of strategic and tactical skills
- Flexible self-starter who can make an impact with little structure or foundation
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Deep experience in vendor negotiations; able to communicate effectively and sell current vendors and suppliers on strategic roadmap to improve company profitability and customer experience
- Creative and innovative problem solving
- Articulate and persuasive communication skills, both written and verbal
- Develop, manage and coach a team
Ecommerce at Workhuman:
Workhuman employs a unique business model that combines a sophisticated SaaS platform with an e-Commerce-based redemptions experience that enables the employees at our partner clients to purchase merchandise, gift cards, services and experiences with the points they receive through our recognition program. Our mission as an e-Commerce team is to engage and inspire this captive audience and delight our customers with the content, site experience, and assortment that makes each recognition moment truly special and memorable while maximizing business potential and growing profitability.
We are in rapid expansion mode and are building the e-Commerce team needed to shape and execute on our vision and plan for taking our redemptions experience and offering to the next level, further differentiating us in the space and supporting our overall business growth. In joining the e-Commerce team at this exciting stage, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on our overall business and success metrics and will gain unparalleled experience in building a dynamic and robust ecommerce offering and customer experience.
This is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial, analytical leader and problem-solver who enjoys building and is excited by the dynamics of an early-stage environment which requires balancing high-level strategy and long-term planning with agile and creative real-time problem solving.
Workhuman® is the world’s fastest-growing integrated Social Recognition® and continuous performance management platform. Our human applications are shaping the future of work by helping organizations connect culture to shared purpose. With a consistent stream of gratitude fueling unparalleled, provocative workplace data and human insights, Workhuman® Cloud is a critical software engine for global companies seeking to motivate and empower their people to do the best work of their lives. Workhuman (formerly known as Globoforce) was founded in 1999 and is co-headquartered in Framingham, Mass., and Dublin, Ireland.
- Workhuman® is used by millions of employees across 160 countries.
- Our core values are; Respect, Determination, Innovation and Imagination.
- We are #2 Great Place to Work in Ireland for the 2018 medium-sized workplace category and have been named one of the 2018 Top Places to Work in Massachusetts by the Boston Globe.
- Check out our state-of-the-art offices in Framingham, MA and Dublin, Ireland.