Business Intelligence Data Analyst I
Carbonite is a data driven company that places a high value on meaningful and actionable analytics and reporting. We believe that getting accurate, timely, and insightful analysis in the hands of decision makers provides us with a distinct competitive advantage.
Carbonite features a centralized Analytics team. We inform and support all areas of the company: Sales, Marketing, Customer Support, Finance, Operations, Engineering, and Product Development. This broad range of stakeholders gives our team a unique and comprehensive view of the business, allowing us to serve as a trusted and objective advisor to important conversations and decisions at all levels of Carbonite.
Analytics team members accept a lot of responsibility; we work hard to meet our commitments and are rewarded with strong professional growth in an enriching, challenging, and dynamic environment. We are looking for an enthusiastic and insightful Business Intelligence Analyst to help drive our success and improve our analytical offerings to stakeholders.
In the role of BI Data Analyst, you will contribute directly to the success of our stakeholders, executive decision makers, and customers. A successful BI Data Analyst collaborates closely with stakeholders, developing meaningful and trusted partnerships that identify, understand, and solve critical business and analytical problems. You will be a problem solver that understands how to mix raw data, a deep knowledge of our business, and analytical tools into insightful and actionable intelligence. You are a problem solver on the front lines of our business.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities:
Your First Six Months:
- Develop an excellent grasp of Carbonite’s business model, business metrics, KPIs, and the factors that drive our business.
- Demonstrate the ability to work closely and collaboratively with our stakeholders to help identify and solve important business problems.
- Develop your skills at communicating complex analytical information.
- Understand how data flows into our source systems and data warehouse, and how our data is used to generate operational and analytical reporting.
- Develop a strong competency in the use of our SQL query and dashboard reporting tools.
- Demonstrate the ability to digest complex business requirements and translate them into impactful reporting and analysis.
- Demonstrate the ability to think creatively and proactively.
- Continue to cultivate and develop a deep and comprehensive understanding of our business.
- Know our metrics and KPIs inside and out.
- Build and enhance our relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the company and across all key departments.
- Successfully use data-driven analysis and your problem-solving skills to consistently generate business insights around important problems.
- Be fluent in your understanding of our data, reporting environment, and other technical tools.
- Represent the Business Analytics team in meetings with stakeholders.
- Contribute to the reporting suite and SQL code base in an impactful manner.
- Be able to train stakeholders on our self-service reporting platform and other tools.
- Consistently show the initiative, skills, and knowledge needed to succeed at Carbonite.
- Doing meaningful business analytics is hard. Often very hard. We are looking for people who are not intimated by this task; in fact, they welcome it.
- Business Analytics is rapidly evolving and open-ended field. There is a lot to learn and you must be willing to continuously develop your skills. There is no substitute for knowing our business model, data, and technical tools.
- Relationship building is key. And this is not always easy. In this role you are a stakeholder-facing problem solver, working with our internal customers each and every day.
- Our team is very open and collaborative. And we value transparency. We have to because most of the problems we work to solve require a team effort.
- To excel in this role requires business acumen and strong problem-solving abilities.
- You must be a self-motivated individual who has a strong sense of responsibility to your team members, our stakeholders, and customers.
- First-rate communication skills and a willingness to work with stakeholders every day.
- The ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with multiple departments.
- Strong problem-solving skills – the ability to “connect the dots” and “see the bigger picture” – and consistently transform data into actionable insight.
- Not afraid to jump into complicated business problems with time constraints and deadlines.
- Be a quick technical study and not be intimidated by modern analytical tools and lots of data.
- Embracing the responsibility that comes with being an objective voice and interpreter of the data.
- Knowing when to be autonomous and when to collaborate.
- Developing an ability to independently identify high value projects and drive them to completion.
- Understanding what makes a “good report” and avoids “data noise.”
- Exhibiting these essential competencies; Teamwork/Collaboration, Customer Focus, Continuous Improvement Mindset, Problem-Solving and Communication.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical or business field, or equivalent.
- Strong computer competence and analytics/problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with a variety of data.
- 1-2 years experience with Microsoft SQL Server or other RDBMS.
- Business Intelligence/Reporting/Data Analytics experience in a professional environment.
- 1-2 years knowledge of at least one BI platform; Tableau highly preferred.
- Ability to go end-to-end from requirements gathering to finished product.
- Aggressive data detective – able to hunt down the right data and build meaningful reporting with it.
- Experience with software industry or subscription business models a plus.
Carbonite solutions are strengthened by our outstanding team members and through strategic acquisitions—like our purchase of leading endpoint protection provider Mozy Inc., and high availability specialist DoubleTake Software. Our laser focus on security and our track record of meeting customers' unique requirements are two more reasons why businesses around the globe depend on Carbonite.
Carbonite is made up of over 1,000 smart and dedicated individuals who work at locations all over the world. We foster a thriving, dynamic environment rich with inventive minds and entrepreneurial spirit. With our robust Data Protection Platform, we are well-positioned in a rapidly growing market. We're currently looking for talented people to join the Carbonite team both in the U.S. and globally. Are you ready to grow with us?
Carbonite, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Upon request, accommodations will be made available during the recruitment process for applicants with a disability. If you require accommodations, we will work with you to provide or arrange for the provision of suitable accommodation wherever possible. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.