The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next easier and more enjoyable for every listener. From Daily Mix to Discover Weekly, were behind some of Spotifys most-loved features. We built them by understanding the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else. Join us and youll keep millions of users listening by making great recommendations to each and every one of them.
Our squad in Boston is looking for a backend/data engineer to help build tools that assist Spotify's music specialists in curating and influencing satisfying listening experiences for our diverse listener base. Our curators are located across the globe. Their workflow includes everything from editors discovering new music, to sequencing and packaging an editorial playlist, to influencing algorithmic playlists, to monitoring and learning from the performance of different listening experiences. As part of our team, you will closely collaborate with our internal customers to determine the best solutions to scalably meet their needs. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate and pair program in a multi-functional team, where the focus is on backend services and batch data pipelines, but some web work will also be encouraged. We believe that multi-functional teams work better when everyone is T-shaped.
- Be a strong participant in the Spotify-wide web developer community affecting and driving web engineering across the company.
- Be a technical leader within your immediate team and within Spotify in general.
- Hack on new insights during regular hack days and the yearly Spotify-wide hack week!
Who You Are:
- You are experienced in building distributed, high-volume Java backend services. In addition to Java, you have worked in production with some of the following (or an equivalent): Kubernetes, Cloud Bigtable, Cloud SQL, Postgres, Memcached, ElasticSearch.
- You know how to work with high volume heterogeneous data, and have production-level experience with one or more higher-level JVM-based data processing frameworks such as Beam, Dataflow, Crunch, Scalding, Storm, Spark, etc. (but not just Pig/Hive/BigQuery/other SQL-like abstractions).
- You are knowledgeable about data access and data storage techniques.
- You have a quality-mindset and are interested in all parts of software development: coding, testing, deployment, monitoring.
- You demonstrate a growth mentality you welcome challenges, seek feedback from others, show perseverance on long-term goals, and generally go above and beyond in your work.
- A common theme throughout our teams is a genuine interest in music, so you might play an instrument and/or love listening to music whenever you get a chance!
Where You'll Be:
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location and is within working hours.
- Working hours? We operate within the Eastern Standard time zone for collaboration and ask that all be located that time zone.
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or whats playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. Its in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the worlds most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 345 million users.