America's Test Kitchen is looking for an experienced Associate Editor/Test Cook to join the Cooks Illustrated team.
Associate editor/test cooks are responsible for developing recipes through extensive experimentation and testing in the test kitchen. Associate editor/test cooks also write bylined articles of varying lengths for Cooks Illustrated magazine and digital properties that document the development process and any food science discoveries, along with the cultural and historical significance of the dish. As part of this process, Associate editor/test cooks conduct extensive research, including interviewing outside experts and sources. Ours is a deeply collaborative environment, and all associate editor/test cooks offer ideas and feedback to teammates at frequent tastings and meetings. Associate editor/test cooks also contribute to non-recipe content on all platforms, including digital media, social media, video, and more.
All positions are site-based at our Boston Seaport headquarters.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to juggle a full load of cooking and writing tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment where priorities can shift quickly and commitment to teamwork is essential.
- Expertise in both savory and sweet cooking methods, including baking and pastry.
- A collaborative approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to execute the test kitchens recipe testing process.
- Comfortable interviewing sources (or willing to learn) and the ability to hone an individual voice for articles that is also true to the CI brand.
- Ability to work cooperatively and comfortably in an environment in which decisions are often made by the group rather than by the individual.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree from an accredited culinary arts program (or equivalent) or significant professional cooking experience.
- Minimum of 3 years professional cooking experience.
- BA/BS degree in liberal arts, journalism, history, or literature a plus.
- Food writing experience a plus.
Video clips, original recipes, and other supporting material welcome along with resume and cover letter.