Who We Are
The BigData Engineering team is part of the larger data infrastructure organization at Wayfair. This team is responsible for all of our BigData infrastructure in the cloud and on-prem as well as all of the messaging, streaming platforms and data movement between multiple data stores.
This team is looking for smart, passionate and curious people who are excited to help us scale, support and engineer our distributed analytic and streaming infrastructure. With the broad reach of the technologies we are using, you will have the opportunity to grow your network internally as well as through the open source community and add to your skillset by working with people and ideas that represent a diverse set of cutting-edge technologies.
As a senior leader, you will be responsible for an organization of high performing DevOps engineers who are defining, building and designing the development, test, deployment, and operation of large scale distributed systems. A successful candidate will have an established background in driving clarity in highly ambiguous technical environments, developing long-term technical roadmaps, a strong technical ability to guide and coach, excellent project management skills, great communication and collaboration skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced and ever growing environment.
What You'll Do
- Given a vision, have the ability to build a strategy, execute, deliver and operate large scale distributed systems capable of moving terabytes of high volume and high speed data in real time
- Help build systems that are high quality, with effective system boundaries; APIs that are easily discoverable and are used by other teams; and well-defined, visible SLIs and SLOs
- Responsible for integrating technical and business roadmaps and defining vision to continuously drive the most value for the business
- Accountable for teams' output and ensures deliverables are on time and of high quality, with measurable outcomes
- Use data and clear documentation to describe the value and details of significant technical investments. Adjusts message and level of detail to fit the audience and build consensus
- Identify gaps in extended team and coaches the managers of those teams to properly support/grow their organizations
- Be accountable for the effectiveness, engagement, and morale of their organization by raising awareness of and striving to improve diversity, equity, and inclusion on their teams and across the department. Proactively take steps to measure and improve each of these aspects.
- Identify performance issues in teams early and resolves them quickly through stretch development plans, structured development plans, performance management plans, and separation from the company, as appropriate. Set clear standards to guide performance management. Take a driving role as necessary to teach and support direct/indirect reports new to performance management
- Work to raise the profile of Wayfair as a tech shop through writing, speaking, and sponsoring open-source projects
- Play a key role in developing and driving a multi-year technology and organizational strategy for critical areas of business that span multiple systems and teams and increases the leverage of engineers at Wayfair
- Continuously learn to stay up to date with the company and industry trends, spreads that knowledge and applies it towards building better teams and systems
- Act as an organization - wide go to and mentor for peers and engineers alike
What You'll Need
- 7+ years of engineering management experience with at least 5+ years of software development experience
- Demonstrated history of implementing and managing large scale distributed systems
- Proven and successful experience building and shipping real time data streaming and ingestion platforms
- Strong working knowledge of the principles of data engineering and data modeling (ex: ETL pipelines)
- Experience working with big data systems in one of the large public clouds (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Exceptional leadership, communication and project management skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented team
Nice to Have
- Familiarity/experience with running 24X7 operations
- Experience in identifying and navigating organizational changes, a keen interest in the latest trends in engineering and leadership, and an above average emotional intelligence
- Masters in computer science or another related field preferred
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the worlds largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, were reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If youre looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then youll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. Were a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair and world for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. Thats why were proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.