Forward Financing has been one of the fastest-growing fintech companies in Boston for the past three years, as recognized by Boston Business Journal, Inc. Magazine, and Deloitte Fast 500. We help small businesses spend less time finding capital and more time helping their customers and growing their businesses. Our mission is to create a world-class fintech company so that our customers and our people can reach their full potential. We accomplish this by investing in our people, technology, and customer experience with long-term success in mind. Forward Financing promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion in all we do.
As the sole Assistant General Counsel, you will be responsible for overseeing all compliance and transactional legal matters, and will report directly to the General Counsel. You will work on a wide array of legal matters, connecting you to every aspect of our business. You will have an existing team of two direct reports, and will further build that team out as time progresses. If you are great at multi-tasking, enjoy many aspects of legal practice, and are looking for a position with room to grow, this is the job for you!
In this role you will:
- Oversee all compliance and transactional matters coming into the Legal Department, with a staff of direct reports. You will collaborate frequently with other attorneys, legal staff, as well as employees in different departments throughout the company.
- Further enhance our overall compliance program in numerous areas, including data privacy, sales, collections, marketing, employment and others.
- Work with our CEO and General Counsel on matters related to regulatory and legislative initiatives.
- Be responsible for maintaining comprehensive policies/written protocols that reflect the companys work on building an A+ compliance program.
- Negotiate NDAs, data privacy agreements, and vendor contracts.
- Stay up to date on new statutes, regulations, case law, and best practices, and incorporate these into the companys policies.
- Assist in developing and delivering trainings for employees and executives on a variety of subjects, including ethics, privacy compliance, and other relevant legal issues.
- Provide recommendations to General Counsel and other senior management regarding potential solutions to legal issues as they arise.
- Provide assistance on various other general matters within the Legal Department.
- Get to be part of a fun and energetic Legal Team!
- 7+ years experience working as an attorney, preferably some of those being in-house.
- Wide variety of legal experience, either transactional or litigation.
- Experience in data privacy is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with executive management, fellow employees and external counsel.
- Ability to break down complicated laws and regulations into understandable and approachable language.
- Strong management skills.
- Excellent writing skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, organized and able to work independently.
- Effective in a fast-paced environment.
- Tactful with strong negotiation skills.
- Admitted & in good standing with Massachusetts or other state bar.
Forward Financing Core Values:
- People First We build relationships and genuinely care about each other.
- We Before Me We prioritize team success over individual success.
- Be Candid We are authentic, transparent, and direct.
- Do the Right Thing We act with integrity and we dont cut corners.
- Relentless Improvement We push ourselves, never settling for the best we did yesterday.
- Be Positive We are optimistic, assume positive intent.
Forward Financing is a Boston-based fintech company that provides fast, flexible, and reliable capital to small businesses nationwide. With a simple online application, business owners can trust that Forward Financing works to get them approvals within minutes, funding within hours, and personalized support when they need it most.
Since 2012, Forward Financing has provided over $1 billion in financing to more than 26,000 small businesses. Consistently recognized as an industry leader, the company is A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau and receives top ratings across all major customer review platforms. Forward Financing has been consistently named by Boston Business Journal and Built in Boston as one of the best places to work in Massachusetts.
Forward Financing actively promotes a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion in all we do. We are committed to creating a workplace where trust and respect are paramount and all employees feel valued, heard, and accepted. By embracing diversity of thought, background, and identity, we will continue to become a stronger team and a better organization.
We are a diverse and driven group of over 100 people, located in the heart of Bostons Financial District. Our employees come to work knowing they are helping thousands of small businesses while advancing their own careers. If this sounds like something youd like to be a part of, learn more at www.forwardfinancing.com.
Perks & Benefits:
At Forward Financing, we believe that if our company succeeds, all of our employees succeed too. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to; medical, dental, vision and commuter benefits along with a flexible time off policy, 401k match, gym reimbursement, paid volunteering days, annual professional development budget, and charitable donation match.
When we arent busy with a Zoom meeting, supporting our customers, or working on a project, you can likely find us taking part in a scavenger hunt, getting overly competitive in a trivia game, or celebrating our team wins together!