Applied Scientist Job Description
Introduction to the team:
The Applied Technology team is a group with diverse backgrounds that tackles some of Wayfairs biggest challenges. We take on engagements with the parts of the business that can best use our creativity. Together as a team, we offer a fresh perspective and use our rapid prototyping skills. We love to learn and are not restricted by tools we have already mastered. We evaluate existing technologies and build new ones as required. We constantly explore, learn, build, test, and improve. Projects we dont yet know how to tackle are more interesting to us than projects we do know how to tackle.
- Work with other Wayfair teams to understand their problems and propose solutions
- Research and understand current state of the art in problem domains
- Evaluate potential solutions for likelihood of success and potential impact
- Embrace the opportunity to take projects in your own direction
- Move quickly to build proofs of concept, iterate, and transition to production
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders and leadership throughout the company
- Technical MS or PhD, e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Math, Architecture, Industrial Design, Computer Graphics, Computational Science, Robotics.
- Proficiency in a high-level programming language such as Python, Java, C#, PHP, etc.
- Scientifically adventurous: equally as excited to apply subject-matter expertise as to learn new methods and technologies
- Keen eye for seeing opportunities to explore powerful connections between ideas
- Tinkerer, e.g. experience with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Installation Art, Fabrication, RF Hobby Projects, or IoT
- Affinity for working on projects that others think of as too much of a long shot
- A persistent self-driven problem-solver
- Business experience or demonstrated interest in business (e.g. through a consulting club)
- Basic understanding of SQL queries is a plus
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, dcor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
TheWayfairfamily of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home dcor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home dcor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended June 30, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 9,700 people.