A bit about us:
Were on a mission to change healthcare how its paid for, delivered, experienced. We want to put people center stage, not process or profit. We are guided by a deep belief that every person on Medicare should be treated like we would treat a member of our own family: with loving care and a profound commitment to their health and well-being.
Thats why were gathering a whole bunch of smart, big-hearted people to create a new kind of healthcare company one that combines compassion, health insurance, clinical care, and technology seamlessly.
We want to throw the long ball with people we love for a cause we believe in. Life is short. Join us.
A bit more about this role:
Devoted Healths Operations teams have the opportunity to make a difference every single day in the complex world of health care. We aim to care for every member as we would our own family.
We view moments where members share feedback with us, informally or through our Appeals and Grievances process, as particularly important to that mission. Handling these moments with care and grace is a critical part of living our cultural values, and deriving data and insights from them to inform better operations will help us to differentiate our member experience.
The Supervisor will lead the team of Appeals & Grievances specialists who review feedback and appeals from Devoteds members and providers, investigate and resolve issues, and identify opportunities for continuous improvement. In this role, you will be managing and supporting A&G specialists to be successful in providing excellent handling of appeal and grievance cases, including: coaching, oversight of staffing and work queues, and improvement of workflows. Beyond these formal duties you will help build a culture that enables our A&G Specialists to be their best authentic, caring, and emotionally intelligent selves in their work for members. You will develop a deep understanding of our benefit offerings and many of our business processes so that you can help your team solve problems for members and thoughtfully review appeals. You will analyze data to improve the quality and productivity of the A&G operation and to identify trends suggesting opportunities to improve member experience.
You will work in an entrepreneurial environment where we are constantly looking to learn what our members need and to develop better ways to serve them. You will be asked to identify opportunities to address the root causes of grievances and appeals and ideas for ways to make our processes and technology better.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead a team of 10 Appeals & Grievance Specialists at varying levels of experience
- Monitoring operational queues and managing to quality and turn-around time targets
- Providing leadership, coaching, and development to a team of specialists handling appeal and grievance cases
- Continually improving A&G processes to meet goals for turnaround times, quality, and Medicare Star rating while scaling to support membership growth and market launches
- Providing specialists with individual performance metrics to help support their development.
- Making recommendations and/or take corrective action to manage team performance as appropriate
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to help create a fast learning environment with a focus on member resolution
- Advocating for your team by identifying training, tech and/or process related needs that will improve the member and/or employee experience
- Creating a transparent team culture where both positive and critical feedback is comfortably exchanged on a daily basis
Attributes to success:
- A strong desire to improve the health care experience: you love to serve and make a difference
- Strong problem-solving skills and able to adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to close performance gaps
- The ability to adjust your coaching and teaching style to different people
- A track record of creating environments of safety and joy for the teams you manage
- Ability to think analytically and connect data trends to behaviors
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills, especially in listening, trust-building, and de-escalation
- Proven ability to successfully provide relevant and immediate feedback in a fast-paced and complex startup environment
- Growth orientation: you seek and incorporate feedback and you see the potential in your teammates
- The ability to work in a startup environment, which means being self-reflective and transparent in your work: whats going well, and whats not
Desired skills and experience:
- Ability to work in a startup, fast paced environment
- Health insurance experience (Medicare Advantage a plus)
- Solid understanding of health care claims & benefits
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent customer-facing and management work experience
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus
- Youre a great leader and team player with a can-do attitude; youre self-reflective
- Previous people management experience required
If you love running towards complex challenges and transforming them into solutions, if you want to make a potentially huge impact on many lives, and if you are looking for a disruptive startup with an inspiring and talented team, Devoted Health may be the place for you!
Devoted is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a safe and supportive work environment in which all employees have the opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business. We value diversity and collaboration. Individuals are respected for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in Devoteds Code of Conduct, our company values and the way we do business.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy status, marital status, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor prohibited by law. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment.