Office Tour Photos
At HMH we are looking for Support Engineers to support our Learning & Education Platforms as part of a dynamic and agile support team. We support all of HMH’s key learning platforms, delivering cutting-edge technical solutions to the Education market.
We are looking for people with a background in full-stack web technologies, and/or querying and scripting skills. You take a customer-focused approach to managing and solving problems for our customers and are familiar with the principles of agile software development and support. Working in a team you will triage & troubleshoot issues, handle data fixing and ETL (including large data sets), and potentially build apps & tools to automate processes, and provide decision-making information to business teams.
You will work with a diverse Software Development organization comprising onsite development staff and offshore support teams. You should also have experience managing a wide array of technical issues across a number of distributed teams and know when to take the lead and drive resolution, and when to delegate and lead from a distance.
Communication, flexibility and good judgement are essential skills, as well as a desire to learn in a multi-platform environment. This is a hands-on role which offers the candidate an excellent opportunity to learn and grow in the area of software support & life cycle management, with exposure to a range of technologies.
- Triage & troubleshoot issues - take leadership on resolution of key issues, use application knowledge to validate, prioritise and manage issue backlog.
- Database - writing & running scripts on a range of data, in and from various databases, for issue resolution and mining data for key info
Key skills include: Scripting in Python or similar, Data querying/manipulation with SQL
- Tools development for automation of support tasks, data extraction, data analysis etc.
- Triage & troubleshoot issues – leadership on key issues resolution, prioritise and manage issue backlog.
- Management of pipeline, oversight on customer needs & identification of key trends.
- Communication with stakeholder groups on progress & ensuring responsiveness to issues across teams.
Additional / non-core responsibilities
You will be required to perform some of the following, at times, but these will not form the core of your role.
- Technical vendor management – working with offshore teams.
- Keep a knowledge-base of support-related information up to date.
- Contribute to the development of automation tools
- Educated to Associate Degree level (Business, Finance, Computer Science).
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in an Engineering environment. Experience in software development & support
Background in full-stack web development technologies like:
- Scripting in Python or similar
- Data querying/manipulation with SQL
- UI Front-end troubleshooting/debugging experience using developer tools and HTTP debuggers
- Familiarity with analyzing and troubleshooting packet capture logs & local network issues
- Knowledge of Jira, Slack, Runscope, PagerDuty and other collaboration tools
- Self-starter with excellent Problem-Solving skills and experience
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
- The person in this position needs to move about inside office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group.
More Jobs From