Chewy is looking for an Associate Director, Software Engineering to join our Merchandising Systems & Services team. This team is responsible for building the Vendor Partner Portal (VPP) that may increase Chewy's revenue 120M+ and improve the Gross Margin 20M+ with your leadership. (Location options: Bellevue, WA, Boston, MA, Minneapolis, MN or Fort Lauderdale, FL).
This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire merchandising business, influencing the vision and implementation of architecture, design and features for the merchandising platform. You will have great communication skills from technical and non-technical business partners to VP and C-level stake holders. As a Leader you will be leading a team of strong full stack engineers (10-15 FTE Engineers; not contractors or offshore but direct reports) to build out Chewys next merchandising platform (3+ Years estimated timeline).
Our teams mission is to be the backbone for Chewys Category, Pricing & Vendor team by design, and develop world-class system prototypes helping them to win long-term customer trust, business growth, and profitability. This role will give you the chance to use your deep technical expertise (Experience Building Custom Web Apps using the Java tech stack and AWS) to accelerate the adoption of the very best engineering practices, while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends, and practices. You will help drive innovation, scalability, light-weight integrations, and maintainability while collaborating with our internal engineering/IT teams.
What You will Do:
- Manage and lead a team 1+ scrum team(s) with 10+ experienced engineers responsible for building Chewys next generation merchandising platform; Vendor Partner Platform (over 7 billion in digital inventory & 2500+ Vendors)
- Partner with our recruiting team to continue to build your team and mentor the growth of the existing team
- Drive technical decisions and be accountable for the delivery of solutions on initiatives they own
- Contribute to road map definition in collaboration with technical and product leadership
- Review code and implementations, provide feedback for technical contributors
- Must be able to identify and manage priorities within the context of overall merchandising business objectives based on data driven decision making
- Develop System / Component prototypes (front & back end both) and APIs (Interact with the full application stack) for a rapidly scaling platform for vendor management, while ensuring successful product delivery and operational excellence
- Design, develop and implement large-scale distributed systems prototypes with large volumes of data, focusing on scalability, latency, and resiliency
- Experience in using DevOps principles and techniques to delivery high quality software prototypes with the least technical debt possible
- Completed Bachelors degree in Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience in Software Development as a software engineer
- 5+ years of experience in Engineering Management (Managing teams of 10+ Direct Reports)
- Technical savvy, including hands-on knowledge/skill of system integration, database, and business intelligence
- Experience in communicating software product features, technical designs & product strategy with users, other technical teams, and senior management
- Working experience with distributed SCM (GitHub a plus), DevOps, AWS
- Project experience using Java, AWS, React, Angular, Vue.JS or similar frameworks and/or libraries
- Agile experience leading Scrum teams desired.
- Ability to perform business requirements analysis and design with strong prioritization skills to identify minimal viable/lovable products.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong analytical skills, and ability to deal with ambiguity in a rapidly evolving business environment
- Capability to identify and mitigate development and implementation risks
- Understanding of testing automation, including the building of scrappy coding/automation for testing code faster
- Experience in Retail, E-Commerce or Technology Industry, Merchandising & Vendor Management focus a plus
- Strong engineering background building Products/prototypes related to retail ecommerce
- Experience in Software Quality Processes and Atlassian Tools (Confluence, JIRA, etc.)
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected].