Markforged is reinventing manufacturing and building an iconic industrial technology brand. We have set the foundations of our brand strategy and visual identity but are looking to bring on our first in-house creative design talent to evolve and increase our brand recognition. In this role you will be responsible for setting the standard and holding both yourself and members of our design team to it. Our story is highly visual as we apply principles of digital transformation to the physical world. You will draw insight from and collaborate deeply with all aspects of the company from the engineers who invent our products to the sales teams who represent it to prospective customers. Your work will unlock our story and make the complexity of fabrication and globalized production understandable and dramatic. Over time as you succeed in this role, you will have the opportunity to build a team and tackle ever larger projects as we reinvent manufacturing together.
What will you own?
- Guide the development and evolution of our brand, voice, and strategy as Markforged evolves as a company and product
- Coach and mentor a team of brand designers to deliver their best creative work and grow in their career
- Identify and build out new functions to scale the teamwhether it be hiring in-house or partnering with our roster of world class agencies
- Mature our design operations to prioritize requests against business goals, scale the team through improved systems and processes, and streamline how we work on creative projects as a marketing organization
- Collaborate effectively with other leaders at Markforged and setup processes for teams to engage and work with the creative team
- Partner with the broader marketing team to build out performance-driven advertising campaign programs, uplevel product launches, deliver amazing brand experiences at events, and more
- Foster an open culture of design critique and feedback across product and brand design teams
- Help us define Markforged brands story and help evangelize our brand through blog posts, live streams, events, and other mediums
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point were getting at, it doesnt hurt to take a chance and apply!
What you have:
- 5+ years of relevant work in a creative field, with a diverse portfolio of work that demonstrates experience in web, events, digital advertising, social, sales support, and campaigns
- A love for visual storytelling and a fearlessness that allows you to challenge the generic and illuminate the unknown
- Experience in hiring, building, and scaling a design team across multiple functions
- Experience building out in-house design operations and partnerships with external agencies/contractors
- Strong communicator and collaborator; experience working with executives and leaders
- Passion for mentoring and coaching creative teams, as well as attracting new talent
- A keen eye for detail and craftsmanship while also considerate of deadlines and constraints
- Be willing to roll-up your sleeves when necessary
- Familiarity with marketing technology platforms and operations a plus
- Love for reflecting and writing about your process and POV a plus
- We use Apple computers and Google collaboration tools. While experience with these tools is not required, the ideal candidate will be excited to broaden their knowledge and embrace change.