Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchlings mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchlings applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanitys most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the worlds most renowned research institutes.
Supporting Benchling's mission, our customers are doing cutting edge research at the center of two different modalities: small molecule and biologics. This includes products that support bench scientists, screening, and computational modeling across both modalities. We are seeking an Architect, Computational Chemistry with an extensive background in computational chemistry and cheminformatics toolkits.
An ideal candidate for the Architect, Computational Chemistry role would be someone with extensive experience in developing software and computational models in support of small molecule drug discovery. You would have used and developed Cheminformatics applications using toolkits i.e. ChemAxon, RDKit, etc. In addition, you can evaluate and validate scientific accuracy of chemical models and develop modern algorithms for computational chemistry using the latest AI/ML techniques. You have also served as a person capable of translating these scientific concepts to technical specs that engineers can work on to develop production software.
- Expertise with Chemistry toolkits, Chemical registration systems and Chemical Cartridges, and has deep understanding of nuances/challenges of each of them
- Has prior experience and knowledge in knowing how to manipulate Chemical structures
- Be able to independently help shape/define engineering strategies for building a long term Chemistry toolkit
- Rapidly prototypes logic and models based on technical and scientific constraints.
- Evaluates and validates scientific accuracy and acceptability of Chemical calculations and models
- Strong coding skills in one or more of: R, Python, other high level programming languages
- Experience in building scalable enterprise solutions with an understanding of product development lifecycle and customer experience. (Understands SDLC and experience with agile development methodology)
- A strong desire for and history of contributions to open source projects and communities
- Technical Product Management
- Translates scientific and product requirements into technical specifications that engineers can work on.
- Document well thought out, detailed user stories and ensure software and engineering teams understand features and their purpose
- Communicate technical concepts at the appropriate level of abstraction to both technical and non-technical stakeholders and partners.
- Willingness to participate in Customer Calls and provide feedback on long term Chemistry Product Strategy.
- Strong communication skills and effective collaborate among a team of highly capable engineers, product & design.
- A strong desire to up-level everyone in the team via teaching, mentoring, knowledge shares and presentation.
- At least 7 years of industry experience working as a Computational Chemist and/or Cheminformatics software solutions (eg: RD-Kit, ChemAxon)
- Masters degree/ PhD in any life science discipline with strong chemistry background (cheminformatics or computational chemistry)
- Strong coding skills in one or more of: R, Python, C++/DASH, Spark, or other high level programming languages
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.