The Alexa Feedback organization owns a number of programs and domains which drive high customer engagement and feature discovery, maintains customer trust, understands customers’ feedback, develops new features that provide utility value for customers with special needs, and develops locally relevant experiences. The Alexa Experience Science team applies machine learning and natural language understanding algorithms to improve these programs and the functionality of domains such as News (“Alexa, What's the news?"), Feedback (“Alexa, that was wrong!"), Personality (“Alexa, what’s your favorite color?”), and to advance Alexa’s ability to handle more ambiguous utterances.
We're looking for a Applied Science Manager who combines exceptional technical, research and analytical capabilities to lead a team that will be integral to the continued improvement of Amazon Alexa. You will be responsible for leading a team of research scientists and data experts to build ML models to develop new features, predict key user behaviors and deliver automated decisions, both offline and in real time.
What You Will Do
· Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from science, engineering and business backgrounds, in written and verbal forms
· Step in as an experienced member of an applied machine learning research team, establish technical credibility quickly, and help recruit elite machine learning practitioners.
· Contribute to setting up the research vision for the team, and develop and execute on a roadmap that addresses the major questions faced by the domains we serve.
· Raise the bar for research quality and impact. Stay up to date on research results both within and complementary to the Alexa technology space and helping both your team and the larger org utilize tried patterns and state of the art results to work smarter and faster.
· Supporting the career development of your team members.
· Providing technical and scientific guidance to your team members.
· Be a member of the Amazon-wide Machine Learning Community, participating in internal and external MeetUps, Hackathons and Conferences
· Master's degree in Research, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a closely related field.
· 5+ years related work experience in areas such as data analytics, data modeling, machine learning, search or personalization-related problems.
· 3+ years of direct people management experience including duties such as performance evaluation and career development.
· Experience in managing and quantifying improvement in multiple business areas resulting from business analytics, optimization techniques, and/or statistical modeling.
· Experience modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet business needs and proven achievements in production systems.
· Experience as leader of a science team and developing junior members from academia/industry to a business environment.
· Knowledge of various machine learning techniques and key parameters that affect their performance
· Knowledge of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Ph.D. in Research, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a closely related field.
· Experience with spoken language understanding systems.
· Demonstrated leadership abilities, especially with cross-disciplinary efforts.
· Project management experience.
· Experience with data engineers or business analysts in Big Data analytics.
· A good understanding of analysis of algorithms and computational complexity.
· Expertise in prototyping and scripting languages (e.g. Python) with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
More Jobs From