Located 30 minutes outside of Boston, Desktop Metal (NYSE: DM) is pioneering a new generation of additive manufacturing technologies focused on the production of end-use parts. We offer a portfolio of integrated additive manufacturing solutions for engineers, designers and manufacturers comprised hardware, software, materials and services. Our solutions span use cases across the product life cycle, from product development to mass production and aftermarket operations, and they address an array of industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, consumer products, heavy industry, machine design and research and development. At Desktop Metal, we believe additive manufacturing, commonly referred to as 3D printing, is one of the most exciting and transformational technology innovations of our time.
We are hiring an Additive Manufacturing Engineer to be located in our Burlington office in Massachusetts, USA. The Additive Manufacturing Engineer will support customers adoption of our Production Systems and will be an expert at demonstrating how Desktop Metals technology will meet and/or exceed prospective customers expectations and help solve customers challenges. Specifically, the Additive Manufacturing Engineer will work with cross functional teams and will be responsible for supporting internal technical programs in the following areas: design for binder jetting; binder jetting training implementation, equipment control planning; additive manufacturing process development and improvement; program management and binder jetting production adoption and scale up.
- Act as customers advisors on DfAM, part redesign, part evaluation for manufacturing feasibility, build preparation, numeric simulation and guiding customer to ensure binder jetting success
- Support development of binder jetting training materials, function as resident AM expert and provide training to customers on binder jetting technology, processes and materials.
- Oversee print of benchmarks, prototypes, sample parts and pre-production parts needed by customers
- Design, carry out, analyze, and present experiments related to industrialization of binder jetting process from R&D to production
- Support the additive manufacturing processes by applying scientific/quantitative solutions focused on improved manufacturability and producibility
- Support development of printing, crosslinking and sintering process for different materials to deliver qualified material requirements
- Support equipment control planning and maintain appropriate additive manufacturing validation and process control records
- Report to engineering teams any problems and enhancements for all Desktop Metal offerings (Alpha, Beta, and released offerings)
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or any relevant STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics) degree required.
- Minimum of 2 years of hands on experience in either metallic additive manufacturing (AM) including build preparation, parameter development, and AM equipment operation in industrial environment
- Experience in Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM), build preparation, GD&T and advanced numeric simulation (e.g. FEA, CFD) using Solidworks, Onshape, Ansys, CREO design software and use of PDM link tools
- Project management and program management skills and participation in cross functional teams
- Ability to quickly learn new additive technologies and solve complex technical problems
- Ability to perform manufacturing cost analysis
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation capabilities
- Ability to travel 25%
- Experience in metal powder based additive technologies
- Expert in DoE creation, statistical analysis and knowledge of parameter development
- Experience in Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM), build preparation, GD&T and advanced numeric simulation (e.g. FEA, CFD) using SolidWorks/OnShape/Ansys Experience or equivalent
- Knowledge of Materialise Magics experience or equivalent
At Desktop Metal, innovation is at the core of our DNA. And we believe ground-breaking discoveries are born from diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or disability.