At Chewy, were constantly running fast, working hard and building world-class data solutions for our business partners and customers. As Chewy has grown, data governance continues to gain importance throughout the organization. We are looking for a leader of our Data Governance organization. This role will lead and manage all organization-wide data governance activities and immediately step in to provide governance advice, methods and guidance across our data using community. This individual will serve as the primary liaison between the data organization, technical teams and business end-users in relation to data governance and management.
The ideal candidate will utilize the skills they have gained working in the data world to drive the efficacy of the various data governance programs, applications, processes and to manage the coordination of our data stewards. This candidate will be personable and able to work across all business units, generation good-will across the various data teams as they work to gather consensus from the stewards, apply controls and evangelize the safeguards to our data platforms/pipelines to our development teams.
Extensive experience in the data realm as a front-end developer, product owner or data engineer is key to being successful in this role. This candidate will use their excellent written and oral communication skills to build relationships with the stakeholders, drive catalog usage and run training programs for the user community. This role will also be responsible for defining the roadmap of the data governance organization and how the data governance will integrate into other departments across Chewy.
This role will serve as a voice for governance, data quality and policy issues and will work closely with Business and Functional area leadership to improve the quality and value of core data assets, respond to regulatory protection requirements as well as support the strategic requirements of the department.
What You'll Do:
- Drive an enterprise data governance roadmap including strategic priorities for development of information-based capabilities, interconnectedness with other platforms and rolling out new data focused capabilities
- Own the enterprise-wide data governance framework/approach, with a focus on improvement of data resource visibility, clarity of definition, and the protection of sensitive data through modifications to organization behavior, policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools, and data architecture
- Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance and ensure clear accountability for stewardship of the companys information assets
- Serve as a liaison between Business and Functional areas and technology to ensure that the data related business requirements for protecting sensitive data are clearly defined, communicated and well understood and considered as part of operational prioritization and planning
- Develop & maintain inventory of the enterprise information maps, including authoritative systems, owners, intention, and supplementary information to provide context to our catalog and ensure visibility into the usage of sensitive assets.
- In conjunction with the BI team, provide visibility, transparency and accountability to leadership around the implementation and status of the departmental Data Governance Roadmap.
- Identify new opportunities pertaining to the use of information assets to achieve efficiency and effectiveness through automation, new technology integration and effective use of current data resources.
- Authoring governance policies in regard to:
- Data Stewardship
- Metadata Management
- Data access rights
- Data standards, formats, and guidelines
- Supporting the rollout of Privacy and Security policies across enterprise platforms
- Analyzing the impact of proposed solutions holistically, develop use cases to explain/demonstrate business requirements/specifications to technical teams, and contribute a business or process perspective during design reviews
- Represent the data governance and management teams as part of various project implementations
- Support the implementation of a comprehensive data service offering to the enterprise
What You'll Need:
- Strong background in Data Governance (5+ years)
- Experience implementing GDPR controls in a fast past data environment
- Direct and demonstratable experience in data governance, analytics, and data management (especially metadata management)
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Strong hands-on knowledge of ECommerce business processes and system processes
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and experience
- Knowledge of industry leading data governance practices
- Knowledge of data related government regulatory requirements and emerging trends and issues
- Demonstrated consulting skills, with change management concepts and strategies, including communication, culture change and performance measurement system design
- Recognized subject matter expert that influences the way things are done
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, MIS, Information Management or commensurate work experience
- Position may require travel
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected].