Applecart is a high growth marketing technology company based in New York City, founded in 2013. Applecart has developed a proprietary social graph platform that uses publicly available data to map over 25 billion social relationships between more than 250 million adult Americans. Applecarts platform helps major corporations, national nonprofit organizations, and high-profile political campaigns with their highest stakes marketing challenge: reaching hard-to-reach audiences of decision makers, spanning corporate executives, legislators, regulators, investors, members of the media, and more.
For years, marketing technology businesses have focused on solving b2c (consumer) marketing challenges (e.g. look-a-like modeling to find new customers), but the traditional pay-per-impression advertising model has left a massive opportunity unsolved for: how to market when a companys target isnt the average consumer, but is instead a single, senior decision maker. Applecart is the solution to this problem for some of the worlds most prominent organizations.
Quick facts about us:
- Applecart has generated over $40M in revenue and is growing 100%+ Y-o-Y
- Our senior leadership team includes two members of the 2021 Forbes 30 under 30 list for Marketing and Advertising, a former senior White House advisor, one of the earliest sales leaders at Google and Twitter, and two of the Democratic Partys most successful pollsters and strategists
- Our investors include global sports, entertainment and marketing giant Endeavor, KKR Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Henry Kravis, entrepreneur Chris Burch, a founder of Palantir, senior engineering leaders at Twitter and Yelp, past CEOs of Fortune 50 companies and a number of well-known venture capitalists. Endeavor CEO Ari Emanuel is a board member of the company.
- Our work has been featured on Morning Joe on MSNBC, Bloomberg and The Colbert Report, and in Axios, BusinessWeek, the Associated Press, Forbes, the Washington Post, and Politico, among many others.
As an Accounting Manager at Applecart, you will be responsible for managing the companys accounting function. The ideal candidate is an independent self-starter who has demonstrated experience thriving in a fast-paced, high-growth work environment. Reporting directly to the VP of Finance, this person will play a critical role in strategic decision making and operations by owning the financial close process, financial reporting, revenue recognition, and financial operations (finops). Youll develop best practices to help build a best in class finance function that will support the growth of the company.
What Youll Do:
- Oversee accounting at a company with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of professional excellence, trust, and productivity
- Supervise the accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll process
- Provide quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting to ensure compliance with GAAP, tax, and necessary regulatory reporting requirements
- Full responsibility for developing, leading, and managing the entire period-end financial close process (fiscal month, quarter, and year-end) including preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations, maintaining GL structure, and related tasks
- Ensure timely and accurate accounting treatment of all transactions under GAAP, including day-to-day transactions and maintain adequate system of accounting records
- Manage relationships with external auditors, accounting/tax advisors,
- Lead corporate tax compliance to ensure the accurate and timely completion of all government reporting and tax filings across all geographic areas in which the company operates
- Develop and implement necessary financial accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls
- Implement industry standard best practices across new and existing workflows with a focus on optimization and the reduction of manual processes
- Field technical accounting questions and updates
- Provide support for the annual budgeting and planning process
- Assist with monthly forecast against budget including cash flow projections
- Work collaboratively across departmental functions, providing actionable insights to help drive optimal business decisions
- Attend and present in meetings with leadership team
- Monitor and control company credit card transactions
- Maintain daily cash flow reporting worksheets
- Perform weekly bank reconciliations
- Manage the companys insurance policies
- Other special projects
Who you are:
- 4 + years of experience,, in an accounting role at a startup or small business, with prior Big 4 Accounting firm experience
- CPA, preferred
- A self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment that requires strong prioritization ability with minimal oversight
- Experience and success with managing multiple deadlines while maintaining a cool confidence
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Advanced proficiency with Quickbook, preferred
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and take the initiative to drive necessary change
- Ability to manage/train/mentor junior level teammates
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; impeccable attention to detail
- You possess an energetic, upbeat disposition and excellent sense of humor