Barkly Company Overview
The Barkly Endpoint Protection Platform™ blocks attacks across all vectors and intents, including exploits, scripts, executables, and ransomware. Barkly is the only protection with visibility into all levels of the system, including the CPU and stays up-to-date through its continuous machine-learning engine that automatically converts threat intelligence into powerful protection through nightly training on malware and customer-specific goodware. Barkly requires no security expertise to setup and deploy and makes management simple through any desktop or mobile device. Barkly is independently certified for antivirus replacement, HIPAA, PCI DSS & NIST by Coalfire and AV-TEST. Barkly is formed by an elite team of security and SaaS experts from IBM, Cisco and Intel, and is backed by investors NEA and Sigma Prime. Learn more by visiting us at www.barkly.com or follow us on Twitter @BarklyProtects.
Jobs at Barkly
Barkly's software engineers are developing technologies that protect the unprotected with strong security that anyone can use. Our software spots malware based on its core characteristics and behaviors, without relying on file signatures. Our SaaS portal delivers a simple way for overworked IT Administrators to monitor and report on hundreds of endpoints in their organization, and ultimately access trending information across the industry. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from a variety of areas, including security, large-scale software application design, as well as agile development processes and SaaS infrastructure. As a Software Engineer, you will work with a small team on projects driven directly by customer needs, with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our business grow. Our engineers are collaborative, enthusiastic, displaying leadership qualities and versatility as we make the world a safer place.
What you will be doing:
- Design, develop, test and deploy highly scalable, complex applications
- Work with our product, research and design teams to help prioritize and deliver features that directly help customers
What you bring to the table:
- At least 2-5 years of software development work experience in desktop and server software
- Proficiency with at least one programming language, e.g. C#, Node-JS, C++, Java
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows APIs and Operating System concepts
- Experience building and working with distributed systems
- Some experience with Microsoft Installer or other Installer software
- Complete comfort with Agile and automated continuous build, test, and delivery approaches
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly adapt to new technologies and quickly contribute to a team
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical clients
- A willingness and ability to be team player who can jump in and work on any level of the stack
- The wherewithal to make suggestions on how we can be better and ensure that the best possible code is delivered
Even better if you have experience:
- Working with kernel drivers: development, testing, signing, installation, and operation
- Building and porting software to run on multiple operating systems
- Building automated test pipelines to support continuous delivery
- With tools and frameworks like VMWare/ESXi, Castle Windsor, NUnit, NuGet
Barkly is advancing endpoint protection with the strongest protection, the smartest technology and the simplest management. Our patented technology dynamically combines machine learning models and behavior indicators to protect organizations from evolving attacks through an easy-to-use online portal.
Barkly is a collaborative workplace where everyone is focused on serving the customer. We’re looking for a motivated UX Designer to join our design team in Downtown Boston. Reporting to the Director of Design, you will work with our product and design teams to improve the usability of our product, design new interface components and maintain visual language guidelines.
What you will be doing:
- Work closely with the product team to design intuitive and usable interfaces
- Proactively identify improvements to the Barkly UI and work with product and engineering to implement
- Produce mockups and functional prototypes to be validated in usability tests
- Lead user interviews and studies to validate concepts and designs
- Create and maintain architecture and interaction flow diagrams to document complex systems or interaction patterns
- Create and maintain product visual language guidelines to ensure consistency
- Work with design team to ensure consistent design language across all of Barkly’s public-facing properties
What you bring to the table:
- Strong portfolio of relevant work
- Strong visual design skills
- 2+ years of professional experience in Product Design, Interaction Design and/or UX/UI Design for SaaS / B2B / Enterprise Software
- Experience with responsive design / cross-platform design
- Experience leading UX research studies and interpreting customer feedback to drive design (using both qualitative and quantitative data)
- Expertise creating mockups, wireframes, prototypes and production assets (using Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, InVision or similar tools)
- Willingness to design, test, validate and iterate
- Experience with Google Material Design
- Exposure to designing for accessibility
- Exposure to Agile / Scrum methodology
- You have strong attention-to-detail and problem-solving skills
- You are a strong team collaborator and communicator but can work independently
- You are laser-focused on improving the user experience and are a champion of user needs
- You have a passion for making complex concepts simple
- You are comfortable using design to communicate value and drive adoption
- You are comfortable creating v1 designs with quick turnaround
- You thrive in a fast-paced development environment with ambitious goals and tight deadlines
- You are excited to help build and define design culture in a growing startup
Eyewitness Account Executive job description
A day in the life of a Barkly Account Executive
- Bryan and Kurt go head to head in a competitive game of Horse, making good use of the new basketball net Nina brought in. Bryan’s new shot is too much for Kurt, who loses this round. The two return to their desk, blood pumping, eager to make more customer connections.
- Nina, our Culture Vulture, is at her standing desk, balancing her social side with her relentless pursuit of being Barkly’s number one salesperson. She has been here the longest (October of 2016) and has been promoted from BDR to SMB Account Executive.
- Mike, Director of Customer Success, is sitting at his desk at the beginning of the aisle and taking inventory of his schedule. His schedule today, like usual, is packed with demos and customer calls. The smile across his face tells me he loves the “all-out” nature of his job.
- Ryan, who was our first official Account Executive, scored a window seat. Outside he sees the tourists trying to navigate the confusing intersection of Congress and State Street. It is a literal cross-section of nationalities, ages, and fashion.
- I can hear the fearless leader, Dave, VP of Sales, as he's on a call. I must say, I have worked with many VPs of Sales, and Dave is incredible. He has built his team from scratch and has been very selective in his choices. Nothing but the best for both Dave and Barkly.
All of this and a phenomenal team of SDRs (Derek, Zack, Caitlin, Mike, Nolan and Brian, the Sales Development Manager) and Demand Generation (Rachel) to support them all.
When watching the team, there are several things that are very clear:
- Everyone is very motivated by compensation and by the fact that what they do day in and day out is having a huge impact on Barkly. When Barkly is a huge success, they will have played a big part in it.
- All of the members of the team like to listen to music while they work. Today it is funk; tomorrow’s selection is anyone’s guess.
- The people who have joined Barkly have taken a leap of faith because they saw the value in our product and agreed it is a winning proposition.
- Most of the team has some previous amount of tech experience or savvy.
- They are a competitive group relentlessly doing what it takes to top last week’s numbers (and to dominate in the office ping pong tournament).
We pride ourselves on building a stable operational environment in which many tasks are automated through tools such as Kubernetes, Autoscaling, and Terraform. More complex problems can be solved, tested, and deployed with little delay. As early adopters of Kubernetes and Docker, we’ve learned a great deal about running container based microservices in a production environment for over 2 years. We’re enthusiastic supporters of Open Source technologies such as Kops and contribute to them regularly. We encourage our engineers to try new technologies that may allow our teams to move faster, with less overhead.
What you will be doing:
Barkly's DevOps Engineers develop, manage, and scale the technologies that deliver the strongest and smartest endpoint protection with the simplest management. Our software blocks attacks across all vectors and intents, including exploits, scripts, executables, and ransomware. Our SaaS portal delivers a simple way for overworked IT Administrators to monitor and report on hundreds of endpoints in their organization, and ultimately access trending information across the industry.
A little about the gig:
- Design, develop, test and maintain our underlying Kubernetes infrastructure, networking, application communication layer and deployment workflows
- Manage and operate multiple, continuously deployed, auto-scaling Kubernetes clusters running on AWS EC2 using Terraform and Kops.
- Attend to and improve on comprehensive monitoring, alerting logging and service discovery
- Collaborate with other members of the Platform team to realize robust, reliable, scalable, and highly available products and services
What you bring to the table:
- Comprehensive experience in cloud-based architecture, networking, and design.
- Experience working with, building and managing container-based infrastructure
- Worked with one or more infrastructure as code technologies such as Ansible, Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Salt, Cloud Formation, CF Engine, Fabric
- Experience facilitating DevOps methodologies and CI/CD
- Significant experience with L2/L3 networking and overlay networks
- Experience with Containerization technologies such as Docker, OCI, Rkt
- Experience with a cloud provider such as AWS, Azure, or GCP
- 3 or more years in Linux systems administration
- Interest in using and expanding open source tooling like Kops
- 3-5 years experience on a DevOps team
- Experience operating Kubernetes
- Experience building automation using languages like Golang, Python, Shell scripting
- Experience working with Java based applications, PostgreSQL/RDS, and etcd
Our sales group is fairly new. We have just started to build the team in June of 2017. We have made great hires and people are doing very well in their positioning of the Barkly product. Both Dave and Brian spend a lot of time mentoring the team and educating them on the technology for the second-to-none malware protection solution that Barkly offers. The SDRs are tasked with setting up appointments for our Account Executives (Nina, Kurt, Ryan, and Bryan). The appointments that the SDRs schedule come from their own efforts in prospecting as well as leads that are generated by our marketing team.
Mike Duffy has a history of creating winning teams and valuable technology companies. Prior to founding Barkly, Mike led OpenPages to become the leading provider of GRC solutions for the enterprise, achieving record growth and a global market presence, resulting in the acquisition of OpenPages by IBM in 2010. Prior to OpenPages, Mike led Intel's wide area networking business as general manager, was senior vice president of worldwide sales and marketing at Shiva Corporation, and led sales and marketing for internet pioneer, BBNPlanet. Mike has been the recipient of the Ernst and Young "Entrepreneur of the Year" award.
Jack is a 25 year veteran in the security industry, and has been the founder and CEO of two successful security companies: Qiave Technologies, acquired by Watchguard Technologies in 2000, and Ounce Labs, acquired by IBM in 2009. He is a frequent speaker and writer on security and security issues, and has received multiple patents in a variety of security technologies. Prior to founding Barkly, Jack was director of advanced security for IBM, and led the delivery of security services for IBM in North America.