American Well, a national leader in the rapidly growing field of telehealth, seeks a highly motivated and professional Vice President, Operations. We partner with the top health systems, health plans, employers, and digital health companies to deliver video doctor visits over mobile and web. We are changing the way healthcare is delivered by enabling every doctor to use telehealth with their patients, making care more accessible, affordable and convenient. Our goal is to bring care home.
The Vice President, Operations will play a critical role in Online Care Group. Specifically, the Vice President, Operations will lead operations to support its rapidly growing affiliated medical group, the Online Care Group. This person is responsible for the “supply-side” of our online doctor marketplace, and optimizes the quantity and quality of doctors available to our patients. This individual will have experience in service operations, preferably in healthcare, with experience balancing supply and demand in a seasonal, growing business. They will be experienced using the tools of lean management and have a passion for applying technology to make processes more efficient. The role offers an exciting opportunity to streamline operations in the emerging telehealth market.
- Ensure the operational success of the Online Care Group (OCG). The OCG is a nationwide multi-specialty medical group that includes over 1,700 physicians, therapists, nutritionists and others practicing on American Well telehealth platforms.
- Lead a team of 20-30 staff, including Network Operations Center (provider support), Medical Licensing, Communications, Physician Staffing, Scheduling, and Reporting
- Create and administer physician incentive programs to ensure sufficient doctors are available at the right times
- Build and maintain a forecasting and reporting infrastructure to provide the necessary insight to the operations team, as well as the rest of the Online Care group.
- Continually improve processes, and working with R&D, build new features and functions that automate existing manual processes
- Oversee all communications from American Well to the provider group
- Interact with clients to provide insight and guidance related to their own operational performance
- Negotiate contracts with doctors, technology vendors, and American Well customers
- Mentor / train /support a growing team
- Highly analytical, with the ability to map data and analysis into business acumen and strategic thinking
- Experience using data to drive continuous process improvement
- Demonstrated success in management of service operations
- Effective communication and negotiation skills, employing diplomacy and sensitivity to resolve critical or escalated issues affecting customers, physicians, or senior management
- Excellent interpersonal, public presentation, written and communication skills
- 10+ years of service operations experience, ideally working with hospitals, large physician groups and/or external customer service for providers.
- Previous management experience including responsibilities for hiring, training, assigning work and managing performance of staff.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred
Should you join American Well and the Online Care Group team, you can expect:
The Online Care Group is a fast growing, fast paced clinical services team who works directly with onboarding clinicians to offer flexible physician jobs that connect patients through live, video visits. Care is delivered utilizing American Well’s Online Care system, AmWell, as well as 30+ client-branded systems in which you will play a key role in supporting.
The Online Care Group currently provides multiple services to the general public, as well as multiple employer groups and health plans. Ranging from Urgent Care to Psychiatry services, Online Care Group operates in 45+ states, with the expectation of expanding to all 50 states in the future.
Online Care allows patients and consumers to connect with physicians immediately, through a new and innovative technology known as Telemedicine. Whether a patient has the flu or a general health question, they can access the professional help of our Online Care Group providers from the comfort of their home or office. The innovation uses advanced Web-based technologies and telephony to remove traditional barriers to healthcare access, including insurance coverage, geography, mobility and time constraints.
The Online Care Group is comprised of 4 key areas: Network Operations, Quality Care, Credentialing and Recruitment. We all work together in efforts to help find the best doctors to work on the platform, support their needs technology wise, and build relationships to make the provider and patient experience unique and successful.
Working at American Well
American Well is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We make online doctor visits accessible to everyone for one-off care issues like colds or infections, and chronic condition management, such as diabetes or depression. We make the hard work of healthcare look easy and that requires a mission-driven mentality. We’re a “go getter” culture that pride itself on smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
- Three weeks of vacation time
- 401K match
- Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
- Free gym access – on-site
- Prime office space with views overlooking all of Boston
- Complimentary snacks and drinks