Thursday December 06, 2012
Sr. Director, Search and Evaluation
Department: Corporate Strategy & Business Development
Location: Cambridge, MA
Reporting to the SVP of Corporate Strategy & Business Development, the Sr. Director, Search and Evaluation will generate deal flow through the identification and initial business fit and scientific evaluation of potential strategic opportunities for Vertex to in-source, including complementary assets and new technologies. Sourcing of new opportunities will involve a broad Vertex outreach that will include the Venture Capital community, early stage biotech companies, opportunistically larger pharma and biotech companies, and scientific and partnering conferences, among other sources.
- Lead therapeutic area and/or technology focused sourcing projects aimed at identifying in-licensing and/or acquisition opportunities.
- Be Vertex's initial interface with VCs, their portfolio companies and other early stage companies. Similarly interface with large pharma and biotech (in close coordination with the Business Development Execution team), where relevant, to monitor the availability of potential opportunities for Vertex to insource.
- Create a presence at key scientific and partnering conferences and in coordination with the Business Development Execution team, develop a Vertex Partnering message and collateral to increase profile of the Company and its in-sourcing goals, at such meetings.
- Conduct initial high level business fit and scientific evaluation of potential opportunities to determine if they are worthy of further, detailed functional evaluation. If yes, work in a highly coordinated fashion with Business Development Execution team to transition opportunity in a manner that will appear seamless to the potential partners.
-Ensure that the transition to the Business Development Execution team includes a thorough transfer of all early findings/learnings/considerations (relating to scientific, business and personality aspects, as applicable). Remain involved until such a point at which the Business Development Execution team feels there has been both a seamless transition from the partner's point of view and that the full learnings transfer has occurred
- PhD Required (MD PhD preferred)
- A minimum of 5 years in a venture capital or business development role
- Able to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Critical thinker with sound scientific and business judgment
- Visionary - able to look beyond what is on paper in determining the potential of a program
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to:
- Deliver company message and goals to outside parties (at both the scientific and business level)
- Build and maintain relationship with the VC community, other biotech companies and other potential sources of opportunities
- Able to assemble, synthesize and summarize a complex set of facts and assess how an opportunity may fit within the broader competitive and strategic context.
- Adept at handling multiple projects in parallel and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong project management, presentation and communications skills.
- Embody the Vertex Core Values of Uncompromising Commitment to Patients, Fearless Pursuit of Excellence, Innovation is Our Lifeblood and We Wins
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
For consideration, please apply online at: http://careers.vrtx.com/jobs/descriptions/sr-director-search-and-evaluation-cambridge-massachusetts-job-1-2949292
Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, epilepsy and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, MA, we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science Magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist, and most recently was named the top employer in Science magazine's 2011 annual survey. For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com.
VERTEX is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.