Software Development Engineer
Utilidata – Providence, RI
Utilidata®, Inc. is a global software company that works with electric utilities to enhance energy efficiency and grid security. The company’s patented technology captures real-time data from the grid giving utilities information needed to save energy, mitigate issues caused by distributed energy resources, and better detect grid anomalies. With major clients including American Electric Power, National Grid, and Pacific Gas and Electric Company, Utilidata is backed by leading venture capital firms and is expanding across North America and the Middle East. The company has a world-class production, research and development facility at its headquarters in Providence, RI.
The Software Development Engineer plays a key role and is an integral part of the development team in the design and development of Utilidata’s exciting next generation platform that will enable multiple smart grid applications that drive energy efficiency and renewable integration into the electric power grid. The candidate will be working with cutting edge tools and technologies that modernize the electric grid.
- Reports to the Vice President of Product Development or designate
- Ability to work in a team environment interfacing with integration engineers, product managers, QA and technical support
- Ability to work with high productivity and under tight deadlines
- Solid understanding of C++ software development
- Previous experience with developing distributed systems and applications on Linux (RedHat or embedded) a must
- 4 – 10 years experience developing one or more commercial products
- Networking experience with TCP/IP based protocols and socket programming is a plus
- Ability to work with existing code and integrate new modules using C++ and object oriented design
- Previous experience with Qt a plus
- Knowledge and experience with DNP3 a plus
- Experience with distributed 'schema-less' NoSQL databases and data analytics in a large big-data framework is a plus
- Experience with Hadoop clusters is a plus.
C++, C, XML
MySQL, Oracle, or other database
Multithreaded and object oriented design
Linux/Unix development environment
Effective written and verbal communication skills
BS in Computer Science or equivalent. Masters degree preferred.