Senior Software Engineer - Database Designer Team, Server Platform
Wednesday October 24, 2012
Vertica, an HP Company
150 Cambridgepark Drive
Senior Software Engineer – Database Designer Team, Server Platform
Vertica, an HP company, seeks Software Engineers in Cambridge, MA to design and develop automated physical tuning algorithms for a commercially successful, high performance, massively parallel distributed system.
This is an excellent chance to develop state of the art analysis techniques for large and complex data sets and have an immediate impact on our product and business. The automatic physical designer is a key component of the Vertica Analytic Database, and is central to the core value proposition of the product. Its design and implementation are unique and challenging due to myriads of often conflicting optimization goals and operational constraints.
- Design, develop and implement algorithms to analyze complex workloads and automatically design and evolve the physical storage layout.
- Design, develop and implement low-overhead algorithms to analyze and implement on-line changes in physical designs of multi-terabyte databases.
- Gather and determine requirements for new features by observing and interacting with customers and sales engineers during the sales cycle.
- Develop and document intellectual property.
Education and/or Training (choose one, we have multiple openings):
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in Computer Science, Engineering, or related academic field.
- PhD, or equivalent, in Computer Science, Engineering, or related academic field.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field plus several years of progressive experience in a similar position.
Knowledge and Experience (required):
- Ability to deliver prodigious amounts of extremely high quality code (“get stuff done”)
- Data structures
- Complexity analysis and improvement of algorithms
- C/C++, high performance, multi-threading
Knowledge and Experience (bonus):
- Database internals
- Semantic query analysis over large data sets
Click here to apply directly to this position.