Thursday January 10, 2013
Carbonite, Inc. (NASDAQ: CARB), is a leading provider of online backup solutions for consumers and small and medium sized businesses. Subscribers in more than 100 countries rely on Carbonite to provide easy-to-use, affordable, unlimited and secure online backup solutions with anytime, anywhere data access. Carbonite's online backup solution runs on both the Windows and Mac platforms. The company has backed up more than 100 billion files, restored more than 7 billion files and currently backs up more than 200 million files each day. For more information, please visit www.carbonite.com.
Carbonite Operations is a fast-paced organization that often runs at literal capacity. Thus, ensuring that key technical leadership is available in the early-stage planning for projects is a challenge. Issues/obstacles are often surfaced too late and result in time delays, wasted cycles and increased cost. The Network Architect is responsible for developing a technical network roadmap in collaboration with the business which will provide 6-24 month deployment viability while ensuring efficiency, scalability, flexibility, sustainability, transparency, configuration standardization and improved monitoring capabilities.
• Design and implement mission-critical and scalable network infrastructure
• Develop enterprise wide strategies and direction for secure network systems using current and emerging technologies
• Help troubleshoot network issues in any manifestation / Document resolutions
• Work with a core team to establish design principles and standards for all network components and configurations
• Translate business requirements into network solutions and/or product designs
• Work closely with a wide variety of people to help educate about network function/features and evangelize
• Document (both narrative and diagram) the network architecture, design principles and operational runbooks
• Mentor junior team members
• Work with third-party vendors in support of the network and act as an advisor in contract negotiations
(this incls. peering agreements)
• Rack/stack/configure network hardware based where needed
• Participate in a 7x24 on-call rotation
• Be a critical part of the large Operations team at Carbonite and be willing to do what it takes to make things work.
You will be a HUGE success at Carbonite if you possess –and consistently demonstrate- the following skills &
• You actually like to communicate with people in the interest of letting them know what’s going on. You like
transparency and are upfront about things that go right--and things that go wrong
• You think on your feet and can quickly prioritize many different things with a sense of urgency
• You think about the big picture – the ability to understand how the whole system works is critical!
• You are open-minded and like to share ideas in the interest of educating and be educated
• You’re willing to take on new responsibilities and follow-thru on the ones you’ve already committed to
• You appreciate the beauty of simple architectures
• You have a desire to make a very positive impact on the team
• You’re comfortable doing whatever it takes, from talking to the CEO to breaking down cardboard boxes
Experience with the following technology is a plus. Specific vendors experience is not as important as hands-on experience & fundamental grasp of underlying technologies/concepts.
• HP/Juniper/Enterasys switches, routers and firewalls
• DWDM Fiber connectivity (design and hardware configuration)
• Aruba and Enterasys wireless infrastructure
• Technologies/Protocols: BGP, OSPF Ethernet, TCP/IP, LACP, VLAN, MSTP, RSTP, NAT, 802.1X / NAC, etc…
• MPLS design/configuration
• VPN Policy Config
• Windows and Linux Operating Systems