American Well, a national leader in the rapidly growing field of telehealth, seeks a highly motivated and professional Java Software Architect. We partner with the top health systems, health plans, employers, and digital health companies to deliver video doctor visits over mobile and web. We are changing the way healthcare is delivered by enabling every doctor to use telehealth with their patients, making care more accessible, affordable and convenient. Our goal is to bring care home.
The Java Software Architect will play a critical role in Engineering. Specifically, the Java Software Architect will provide technical leadership as the company ushers in the next phase of telemedicine at Internet scale. Our software combines the best elements of the web, mobile, video, and telephony to bring patients and health care providers together in innovative new ways.
- Design and implement new functionality for American Well's flagship telehealth platform
- Evolve server-side architecture to enhance performance, scalability, and reliability in the face of explosive growth.
- Work closely with Hosting (Operations) on deployment automation, new component rollouts, and monitoring.
- Develop performance measurement and diagnostic hooks.
- Identify technology trends and critically assess new tools/techniques for potential adoption.
- Spearhead steps to move the technology stack forward, improving developer productivity and long-term sustainability.
- Act as a mentor and sounding board for developers and as a technical point-person for other teams in the organization
- Work with strategic business partners on enterprise-level integration's.
- Identify platform security threats and implement mitigations.
- Lead a team of 3-4 developers to help accomplish the above objectives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- 10 + years if server-side Java web development experience.
- Expert-level knowledge of the Spring Framework and Hibernate.
- Expert-level knowledge of SQL and relational database concepts. Oracle preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of "NoSQL" storage alternatives and caching concepts. Redis or MongoDC experience a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of Linux server concepts. Docker experience a strong plus.
- Thorough knowledge of TCP/IP networking. SOAP/REST, JMS, and other inter process communication techniques.
- Effective time management skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks and shifting requirements.
- B.S. or equivalent degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Authorized to work in the U.S without sponsorship
This is a "hands-on" architect role working alongside a top-notch development team on an exciting product. Competitive salary and benefits.
Should you join American Well and the Engineering team, you can expect:
The development organization is a multi-disciplinary team of engineers dedicated to creating a state of the art TeleHealth experience on every platform we can get our hands on. Our cross-functional teams follow a pragmatic Agile methodology as we balance feature requests, strategic initiatives, tech debt, and exciting partnerships on the path to delivering a market leading product to a quickly growing customer base. We work hand in hand with the whole American Well organization to ensure that our product meets the needs of all of our users.
Whether you’re an advocate for the latest and greatest iOS and Android features, are committed to the ideal back-end architecture, or are dedicated to providing the best web usability, we have a place for you on our team.
Working at American Well
American Well is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We make online doctor visits accessible to everyone for one-off care issues like colds or infections, and chronic condition management, such as diabetes or depression. We make the hard work of healthcare look easy and that requires a mission-driven mentality. We’re a “go getter” culture that pride itself on smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
- Three weeks of vacation time
- 401K match
- Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
- Free gym access – on-site
- Drop-off/pick up dry cleaning service
- Prime office space with views overlooking all of Boston
- Complimentary snacks and drinks