Wednesday November 28, 2012
6 Wallis Court, Daily Grommet Campus, Lexington Center
Daily Grommet is an innovative, social media-charged company looking for fresh talent to join our fast-paced direct-to-consumer business based in Lexington, MA.
Every day at noon we launch an undiscovered product and broadcast its story across the web. Our community has proven to be a great predictor of which products succeed; many early Grommets have gone on to become household names. Our work levels the playing field for companies of all sizes, helping the best products win. We build trust between creators and consumers by telling the true story of products; we give people a platform to make purchases that reflect their values and interests.
Our team is composed of creative and driven individuals with unique vision who are building a disruptive product launch platform with no direct competitors. We have blue chip investors, including Rakuten, and are in high-growth mode, growing from 19 to 29 team members in the first two weeks of September.
We’re seeking high-energy players who are eager to contribute to the growth of our company and to share in its success. These are high-potential positions on Daily Grommet’s team with exposure and the opportunity to reach into all areas of this exciting company. Our team is growing, and these hires will have the opportunity to make a deep and immediate impact on our business.
Please submit your resume AND A COVER LETTER to Careers@DailyGrommet.com putting the words Finance Director in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address FOUR things: 1. Why you are good fit for this position. 2. What your ideal career path is over the next few years. 3. Why you are suited to work in a start up. 4. What your salary requirements are.
Reports to the CEO
- In a hands-on fashion, handle all finance functions for the company.
- Working closely with CEO and the top leadership, as leading advisor on financial issues, contribute to the development and implementation of the annual business plan, including revenue, expense, and capital spending budgets.
- Provide direction and oversight as the primary person responsible for financial reporting compliance to appropriate governmental and tax regulations.
- Provide overall leadership to the company's financial planning, budgeting, and reporting processes.
- Work with company auditors and shareholders to complete timely, accurate, and complete financial audit results.
- Ensure that the Board, CEO, investors, and the management team, are all provided with accurate, timely, and relevant internal financial analysis and reporting that is meaningful to running the business.
- Provide oversight and direction to all financial planning and analysis activity in support of ongoing performance and major company decisions in areas such as cost control, business process improvement, and strategic initiatives.
- Manage AP, utilizing an outside contractor as needed.
- Perform all Human Resources functions for the company, in conjunction with TriNet.
- Personally close the books monthly in accordance with GAAP.
- Manage all insurance/risk for the company.
- Personally perform cash management.
- Improve and automate finance and control related operations of the company, in conjunction with the various teams at the company.
- Administer contracts; track company obligations and work with colleagues to review contracts and direct as appropriate for legal counsel input
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
Must have strong leadership ability, accepting full responsibility for directing and coordinating the company’s financial accounting, reporting, auditing, systems development and revenue/cash management. Takes the initiative to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of company financial control and reporting systems and procedures.
- Established skills in cost and process accounting, short / long-term financial planning and budgeting, and financial reporting and analysis.
- Startup company experience expected.
- Capable of sophisticated financial analyses to support strategic decision-making: including financial forecasting, predictive modeling of revenues and expenses. Skills in market assessment would be a strong plus.
- Hands on knowledge of all aspects of QuickBooks.
- Strong ability to create process improvement to reduce costs and improve customer experiences.
- Knowledge of e-commerce operations a plus.
- Knowledge of enterprise level financial software a plus.
- Knowledge of tax accounting principles.
- Oversight of financial reporting to US GAAP and International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Evaluate and update safeguard systems and procedures protecting company assets.
Education and Experience:
Minimum of 10 yrs. progressive experience in accounting and general financial management. An M.B.A., Masters in Finance, or CPA preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Adapts to change. Open to new ideas and responsibilities.
- Uses resources efficiently, strives to reduce cost, via budgeting process.
- Communicates well (written and verbal), delivers presentations, has good listening skills.
- Perform tasks proficiently with a computer. Email, research, interaction with others via the Internet, cloud computing, etc. Creating and editing documents typically utilizing MSOffice; word documents, spreadsheets and slide presentations (PowerPoint). Proficient with QuickBooks.
- Good listener, finds solutions to problems, works well with people.
- Works well with internal and external customers, promotes a positive image of the company, and strives to solve issues raised by customers.
- Able to reach fact-based decisions, takes thoughtful approach when considering options, seeks input from others, makes difficult decisions.
- Meets deadlines, works independently, accountable, maintains focus, punctual, good attendance record.
- Takes action, seeks new opportunities, strives to see projects to completion.
- Builds strong relationships, is flexible/adaptable, works well with others, solicits feedback.
- Provides strong leadership, sets a good example, skilled decision maker, motivator, encourager.
- Information organized and accessible, maintains efficient workspace, manages time well.
- Strives to understand contributing factors, resolves complex situations.
- Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can’t; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer choices.
- Manages workload, works efficiently, and meets goals and objectives.
- Meets deadlines, establishes appropriate priority, and gets the job done in a timely manner.