Seeking a Director of Product Management for a rapidly-growing digital medicine company.
Location: Boston, MA or Larkspur, CA
Travel Required: 50% if Boston based; 25% if Larkspur based
Akili Interactive (www.akiliinteractive.com) is aiming to commercialize an entirely new class of medical product that combines rigorous scientific validation with engaging video game mechanics. We are creating the next-generation of cognitive assessments and neural therapeutics (what we call “Digital Medicine”T) based on cutting-edge neuroscience and validated by clinical trials. Akili's flagship product, the Project: EVO platform, is based on technology developed at UCSF that was featured as the cover article in Nature in September 2013, under the headline "Game Changer".
Akili was founded by leading neuroscientists and top-tier game design veterans to create gaming experiences that are designed to have measurable health impacts in multiple patient populations. Akili has done deals with top pharmaceutical companies, and has received recent recognition in major media outlets including the Wall Street Journal, CNBC, Fast Company, and The Verge.
Akili is looking for a Director, Product Management who will be responsible for leading our efforts to create clinically-validated cognitive therapeutics, assessments, and diagnostics that look and feel like high-quality video games.
The ideal candidate must be passionate about improving patient outcomes for cognitive diseases such as ADHD, Depression and Alzheimer's through delivery of a new type of digital medicine that goes through the rigor of FDA clinical trials prior to commercialization. In this role you will build relationships and align key stakeholders from varying backgrounds of science, pharma, data, game development, clinical trials and software development that are co-located in San Francisco and Boston. You will be responsible for understanding the business, science and game mechanics of our solutions and armed with this knowledge lead efforts to drive current investment through development while at the same time creating a vision and product roadmap for future investment. This is an individual contributor role with the potential to grow into building out a team of Product Managers as Akili grows.
Specific Duties include:
- Identify and align on product investment leading to a product roadmap that represents the strategic thinking of the company that supports both clinical trials and commercialization.
- Lead efforts to operationalize and execute on the roadmap ensuring an iterative design process with continuous feedback loops across the different disciplines of science and game.
- Drive efforts to ensure timely/effective discovery from users/patients and external advisors on new features/enhancements leading to data driven decisions.
- Identify, gather and manage game feature and device (tablet) requirements and align priorities across internal stakeholders including authoring market/product requirements and user stories for FDA compliance and the agile team.
- Partner with the game development lead to identify and understand capacity, velocity and timing of feature delivery leading to an agreed upon development roadmap.
- Partner with Quality Control to ensure FDA compliance.
- Work closely with Manufacturing to identify and manage device requirements and changes over time.
- Participate as a member of the agile team collaborating on work order, priorities, sprint goals and end of sprint demos that deliver customer value at every sprint leading to continuous deployment.
- Proactively align internal stakeholders on feature development/progress ensuring expectations and inputs are managed appropriately.
- Partner with Program Lead to ensure full product readiness for clinical trial and/or commercialization.
- Collaborate with and define integration points with Healthcare Solutions.
- Support Business Development activities.
- 25 or 50% travel required
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline
- Experience working as a Product Manager in a medical device, game and/or digital health company
- Experience delivering products that have both hardware and software components
- 7-10 years Product Management experience; minimum 2 years at Director level
- Proof of 2-3 solutions that were successfully released into clinical trial and/or commercialization
- Proven leadership skills
- Effective/efficient communication skills
- Ability to manage by influence and pull together multiple perspectives into a cohesive, agreed upon direction
- Experience working with remote team members
- Experience in delivering products in an FDA regulated environment is highly desirable