Director of Operations
Monday November 12, 2012
6 Wallis Court
Position open immediately
Daily Grommet is an innovative, social media-charged company looking for fresh talent to join our fast-paced direct-to-consumer business based in Lexington, MA.
Every day at noon we launch an undiscovered product and broadcast its story across the web. Our community has proven to be a great predictor of which products succeed; many early Grommets have gone on to become household names. Our work levels the playing field for companies of all sizes, helping the best products win. We build trust between creators and consumers by telling the true story of products; we give people a platform to make purchases that reflect their values and interests.
Our team is composed of creative and driven individuals with unique vision who are building a disruptive product launch platform with no direct competitors. We have blue chip investors, including Rakuten, and are in high-growth mode, growing from 19 to 29 team members in the first two weeks of September.
We’re seeking high-energy players who are eager to contribute to the growth of our company and to share in its success. These are high-potential positions on Daily Grommet’s team with exposure and the opportunity to reach into all areas of this exciting company. Our team is growing, and these hires will have the opportunity to make a deep and immediate impact on our business.
Please submit your resume AND A COVER LETTER to Careers@DailyGrommet.com putting the words Operations Director in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address four things: 1. Why you are good fit for this position. 2. What your ideal career path is over the next few years. 3. Why you are suited to work in a start up. 4. What your salary requirements are.
Reports to the CEO
- In a hands-on fashion, handle all operations functions for the company. This includes Partner Support, Fulfillment, Customer Support, Facility Management, and IT.
- Working closely with CEO and the top leadership, as leading advisor on operational issues, contribute to the development and implementation of the annual business plan.
- Provide direction and oversight of the Partner Support function, which includes the team that works with our hundreds of partners who create the Grommets.
- Provide direction and oversight of the Fulfillment function, which includes the team that picks and ships our orders every day.
- Provide direction and oversight of the Customer Support function, which handles all customer inquiries.
- Provide direction and oversight of the IT function.
- Maintain all facilities.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Prior experience with leading people in Partner Support, Fulfillment, Customer Support, Facility Management, and IT. Candidates with experience in only four of these areas will be considered.
- Experience working at an eCommerce companies a requirement.
- Takes the initiative to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of company operating processes and reporting systems and procedures.
- Evaluate and update safeguard systems and procedures protecting company assets.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 7 - 10 yrs. progressive experience in operations. An M.B.A., is preferred though an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Adapts to change. Open to new ideas and responsibilities.
- Uses resources efficiently, strives to reduce cost, increase service, and reduce delivery time.
- Communicates well (written and verbal), delivers presentations, has good listening skills.
- Performs tasks proficiently with a computer. Email, research, interaction with others via the Internet, cloud computing, etc. Creating and editing documents typically utilizing MSOffice; word documents, spreadsheets and slide presentations (PowerPoint).
- Experience with customer support systems such as Zendesk a strong plus.
- Experience with eCommerce platforms such as Magento a strong plus.
- Experience with shipping systems such as Stamps.com a strong plus.
- Good listener, committed to finding solutions to problems, works well with people.
- Works well with internal and external customers, promotes a positive image of the company, and strives to solve issues raised by customers.
- Able to reach fact-based decisions, takes thoughtful approach when considering options, seeks input from others, makes difficult decisions.
- Meets deadlines, works independently, accountable, maintains focus, punctual, good attendance record.
- Takes action, seeks new opportunities, and strives to see projects to completion.
- Builds strong relationships, is flexible/adaptable, works well with others, solicits feedback.
- Provides strong leadership, sets a good example, skilled decision maker, motivator, encourager.
- Strives to understand contributing factors, works to resolve complex situations
- Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can’t; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer choices.
- Manages workload, works efficiently, and meets goals and objectives.
- Meets deadlines, establishes appropriate priority, and gets the job done in a timely manner.