SimpliSafe is looking to hire a Senior Marketing & Advertising Counsel, as we expand our Legal Team to support the continued success and growth of the broader organization, development of our product set and expansion of the SimpliSafe brand into new markets. Reporting to our Vice President & General Counsel, this position will serve in a leadership role as a key member of the Legal Team focusing on SimpliSafes marketing, advertising, promotional efforts and strategies and related privacy initiatives.
About SimpliSafes Legal Team:
SimpliSafes Legal Team is charged with representing the companys interests on a global basis and serving as a critical business partner across all functions to solve complex problems facing the organization and help guide and shape key strategic considerations, commercial opportunities and internal initiatives. Our team is trusted and empowered to act and do whats needed to protect the best interests of our company, customers and employees, and we take this responsibility seriously.
Our goal is simple: to achieve great results, identify and mitigate risk, and set SimpliSafe up for success. We do this by developing strong relationships with our business partners to better understand their needs and concerns, embracing a practical, thoughtful and solutions-oriented approach, employing a low-ego, can-do attitude, and delivering timely risk-adjusted advice, guidance and feedback.
As a team we collaborate and support each others success and development and approach our work with a strong sense of commitment matched by an equally strong sense of humor to ensure we continue to find our experience working at SimpliSafe to be rewarding and challenging.
What Youll Do:
- Serve as lead attorney for SimpliSafes Marketing, Retail and Creative teams.
- Review and provide legal guidance on advertising and marketing materials, product and service claims, promotional offers, contests and sweepstakes, social media, press releases and other communications.
- Advise and counsel business leaders on consumer protection, business affairs, advertising law, advertising technology, digital media, data privacy and protection and other legal matters that impact marketing, advertising and consumer experiences.
- Proactively identify potential liability and reputational risks, collaborating with business partners on creative and practical solutions.
- Support Product team in selecting, protecting, and enforcing SimpliSafe brands, providing related trademark and copyright guidance.
- Develop policies and internal guidance tools and documents to support proper disclosures for marketing in various channels.
- Drive key components of data privacy compliance strategy related to marketing and advertising.
- Assist with effective resolution of commercial, advertising, trademark and copyright claims.
What Youll Bring:
- Experience working in the legal department of a consumer products company supporting e-commerce (direct-to-consumer) and retail distribution models is strongly preferred.
- Substantive knowledge of marketing, advertising, privacy, consumer protection, trademark and copyright laws.
- Knowledge and ability to advise on use of endorsers, testimonials and influencers to promote products and services.
- Experience advising on and reviewing advertising and promotional strategies and materials for compliance with FTC and other regulatory agency rules, laws and regulations.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts related to advertising and marketing initiatives.
- Experience leading advertising related disputes and competitor challenges and engaging and managing external counsel.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills with proven ability to interact effectively with varied business and legal team constituents, including frontline business team members, functional leads and executive team members.
- High degree of business savvy to facilitate practical, creative and positive outcomes.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, deal with rapidly changing priorities and work within committed budgets.
- Possess an intellectual curiosity about our business and desire to grow and develop beyond your comfort zone.
- Sound judgment and a high degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- A low ego, roll-up the sleeves mindset, can-do attitude and strong sense of humor.
- Admission to a State Bar and able to register as in-house counsel if not admitted in Massachusetts.
- 5-10+ years experience practicing in a dynamic, fast paced setting, both in an in-house and firm setting.
- Strong commercial skills, business expertise and problem-solving skills is paramount.
SimpliSafe is a home security company that is based in Boston, MA which creates and sells self-installed security systems. Our company was founded by Chad and Eleanor Laurans in 2006 when they had several friends whose homes were broken into. Chad and Eleanor started designing SimpliSafe products in their own home when they realized there werent any solutions available on the market that were geared towards renters. From these humble beginnings, SimpliSafe has become a major competitor in the home security market and was recently acquired by private equity firm Hellman & Friedman.
Today, we are the fastest growing home security company in the country competing against entrenched mainstays like ADT, and the new-to-the-space giants like Amazon and Google. To compete in this ever-growing IoT home automation security space, we must learn and iterate quickly, work collaboratively, and deliver creatively.
At SimpliSafe, we place an emphasis on a no-ego, collaborative culture. From the top down, we all work together to solve the difficult challenges within the home security and IoT industry. We have recently been named in Built In Bostons Best Places to Work in 2019 list and in Wealthfronts 2019 Career Launching Companies list. Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If SimpliSafe sounds like a company youd enjoy working for, wed love to hear from you!
More Jobs From